Re: Fiber channel with Linux

yum install kernel-devel perhaps?

John

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Mad Unix wrote:

am trying to install the HBA drivers for my Linux RHEL 5, each time I get an
error with the kernel development

[root@linux1 qlafc-linux-8.01.00-4-install]# ./qlinstall -dp

#*********************************************************#
# SANsurfer Driver Installer for Linux #
# Installer Version: 1.00.07 #
#*********************************************************#

Kernel version: 2.6.18-8.el5xen

Found QLogic Fibre Channel Adapter in the system
1: QLA2432
Installation will begin for following driver
1: qla2xxx version: v8.01.00

Preparing...

Kernel development package for 2.6.18-8.el5xen kernel is not installed.

For this Red Hat distribution
----------------------------
Install kernel-devel-2.6.18-8.el5xen RPM from its installation CD.

For Example:
Insert the installation CD in the CD drive
Let it auto mount or mount using following command
# mount /media/cdrom
Change directory to RPM directory and install
# cd /media/cdrom/Redhat/RPMS
# rpm -iv kernel-devel*.rpm
OR use the GUI
Run the Add or Remove Packages using following command
# system-config-packages
In the Add or Remove Packages window select "Development Tools"
Click on "Details" and make sure the "kernel-devel" package is selected
Close the Development Tools Package Details window
Click Update to install kernel development package

Aborting installation, required kernel packages are not installed...

error: %pre(qla2xxx-v8.01.00-3.noarch) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
error: install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping qla2xxx-v8.01.00-3

[root@linux1 qlafc-linux-8.01.00-4-install]# rpm -aq | grep kernel
kernel-xen-devel-2.6.18-8.1.15.el5
kernel-headers-2.6.18-8.el5
kernel-xen-2.6.18-8.el5

--
madunix

  • Re: Upgrading from old Sarge (Testing) to Unstable
    ... > The package I'm most concerned about upgrading is the kernel. ... If you installed it via the debian tools, ie. via a .deb package it will be found in the 'Obsolete and locally created packages' section in aptitude. ... You can later install a new kernel or compile a new kernel, but as said in the release info, I strongly recommend to do this in a separate step: use your existing kernel to see if everything works fine; ... 50% Building Dependency Tree Reading extended state information... ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Yum upgrade from F8 to F9 with KDE desktop - installation notes
    ... nVidia drivers from Freshrpms, and I had to install the latest nVidia driver ... kernel in step 5; once I did that, the dkms package (which gets installed from ... Use your preferred method to install the above file: ...
    (Fedora)
  • SUSE Security Announcement: several kernel security problems (SUSE-SA:2005:044)
    ... please install the update packages. ... Use the following command to determine which kind of kernel is ... Download the kernel RPM package for your distribution with the ... Starting from SUSE LINUX 9.2, ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: Using yum to update livna nvidia packages?
    ... >> Yum by default does an install on new kernels and modules. ... >> package and since that comes from livna the issue at that point would ... 6629 drive installed for the existing kernel 2.6.10-1.770. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Looooong Horror story, 10.04.4 LTS on an amd turion 64 bit laptop version
    ... I used a procedure which installed a custom combo of kernel 3.5.7 ... which appeared to install without any gotchas. ... The update-manager finished, I had it recheck, nothing left to do ... No networking at all, usb detection of my plugging in the radio ...
    (Ubuntu)