not a valid block device on a partition that formerly mounted

I have a LaCie BigDisk Extreme attached through USB on my RedHat system.

This disk has never mounted on boot up. I had to wait until the boot up was complete, complete /etc/fstab with mount information for the partitions on the disk and then mount the partitions.

Sometime during the last week, the partitions became unmounted and I can no longer get them mounted.

The system sees the device on reboot. From dmesg

Vendor: LaCie Model: BigDisk Extreme Rev:
Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revisiuon: 02
Attached scsi disk sdb at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
SCSI device sdb: ...
sdb:<6>kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds

The device should have five mountable partitions.

"fdisk -l" only shows partitions for /dev/sda
"fdisk /dev/sdb" returns "Unable to open /dev/sdb"

I am running RedHat 2.4.21-53.ELsmp on the system.

How do I get the partitions on the disk to mount again?

  • Re: How to shift Grub left from a prior Linux Install?
    ... The Master Boot Record is neither FAT nor NTFS - it's just the first 512 ... If your machine keeps on using the Grub boot loader then you've probably ... primary master disk that counts. ... Kubuntu was on separate partitions to Win 7. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.file_system)
  • Re: [SLE] 9.0 Device checling on ext3 fs
    ... run the badbloc program on all partitions once. ... With something as critical as disk ... > filesystems, I need an app that has been tested and just works, preferably ... Usually they come as a file to create an MsDos boot ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Help Required: XP Installation and Partition
    ... > I removed my partitions originally with the XP Setup Disk when it gets to ... > Okay, to do the second option, all I do is download a Windows 98 boot ... >>> previously used partitions and created a new one to install XP Pro ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Solved! (Re: Now wont boot (was: Re: Squeeze assembles one RAID array, at boot but not the other
    ... I could find the gpt partitions. ... so I ended up with an unusable boot floppy. ... re-frozen with the new kernel boot information every time the kernel ... connecting the disks to the disk controller cards. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: All JFS partitions unreadable
    ... partitions on 2 disks and 3 HPFS partitions to find that ... for all the JFS partitions and the FAT one. ... If I boot to the command line from the boot blob, ... I took the non-system disk out and put it into ...
    (comp.os.os2.bugs)