From: redhat-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:redhat-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Marcos Aurelio Rodrigues
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2008 3:38 PM
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: Re: CUPS scheduler dies when adding smb-shared Windows printer

is there a firewall between the networks? can you connect to the 445 tcp?

#telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 445

Marcos Aurelio Rodrigues (DEiGrAtiA-33)
<deigratia33@xxxxxxxxx>
CCNA, MCSO, Security+
Mirabilia laudo semprer, Dei

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Andrew Elliott <Andrew.Elliott@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Trying to add a printer that's shared on a Windows workstation on a
different subnet, error_log isn't very helpful, just shows:

"Scheduler shutting down due to SIGTERM"

I adjusted cupsd.conf to "Allow All" connections from remote networks.

I'm using the following command to set up the printer:

/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p printer1 -v smb://print:print@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
/printshare

Error:

lpadmin: add-printer (set device) failed: server-error-service-unavailable
-
service dies and has to be restarted after that

RHEL v.3.2.3-42

cups-libs-1.1.17-13.3.12

cups-1.1.17-13.3.45

I do get information when running "smbclient -L XX.XXX.XX.XXX -U print"
but
it also gives the following error:

session request to 10.207.92.127 failed (Called name not present)

session request to 10 failed (Called name not present)

updating to the most recent RHN patches is NOT possible at this time, it's
24x7 environment (uptime 280 days).

Any ideas?

The printer adds fine on my test server connecting to the local internal
network (same package versions, os, etc.).

Thanks in advance

Andrew Elliott.