Re: RHCE certification

On Aug 23, 2008, at 2:17 PM, Stephen Carville wrote:

On Friday 22 August 2008 5:48 am, Johan Booysen wrote:
Yep they will be paying. I see what you mean and of course it's true in
terms of having a piece of paper as opposed to actually being able to do
this or that.

Having said that, people over here also like the idea of things being
quantifiable, including certifications and suchlike. So they're
investing in staff training, which I think is great.

Something that often gets overlooked in these discussions is that certain
contractors insist on certain certifications. This is especially true of the
US government. Several years ago I was competing with at least two Solaris
admins I knew were better qualified than me at that time. Despite that, I
was chosen because I have a BS degree in Telecommunications and the other two
guys didn't have any degrees. The contract required so many Bachelor degrees
so many Masters degrees and a couple three Phd's had to be on the project.

Go figger...

It's not just for governments either. Several times in my career I've had to
sign a release so my employer could attach evidence of my "qualifications" to
a bid. It may sound silly -- it does to me -- but that RHCE may someday make
the difference between your employer getting a contract or not.

I may have to get an additional certification for work in the next year, but haven't really researched which one yet. Top 2 options mentioned (due to my Linux experience) are RHCE or Linux+. Either one will probably suffice for my credentials. MSCE was mentioned, but I figure that that would be better for the coworker who has to work with Windows.

  • RE: RHCE and other certs?
    ... Subject: RHCE and other certs? ... I'd have to take the RHCE exam again anyway ... these certifications, and my impression is that very few people actually ... even being a sysadmin at a site that uses free software, ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: OT - Writing Great Resumes
    ... applicants for desktop or server admin positions, we always asked about, ... indicates this person knows what a windows server is, and certifications ... I do notice a lot of recruiters, especially for contract jobs, seem to ...
    (rec.gambling.poker)
  • Re: RHCE and other certs?
    ... I recommend you start first with RHCT then RHCE, all of them based on Labs ... In fact, I myself find little weight to certs, as I know ... I cannot speak for the LPI cert, but I can for the RHCE. ... certifications are? ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: A+ material
    ... one of my then new bosses made fun of my RHCE back in 2002 (got ... I thought this was true: "Red Hat certifications are indisputably ... question was "What the hell does Redhat have to do with Unix? ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Certification ?
    ... I used to have this way of thinking...but I think certifications hold ... the same importance as implementing security practices. ... and have had several certifcations from MCSE to RHCE ... RHCT or RHCE test because they weren't ready...and those who did stay, ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)