X server not running after install/deinstall VMware-tools

Hi,

I've installed RHEL 4.7 on a ESX VMware machine.

[root@rbndtcgxwo601 /]# cat /etc/redhat-release

Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 7)

It worked quite nice until I installed the VMware tools.

So I uninstalled the VMware tools, but stil I can't get my Xserver
running. The screen is flipping between the Cross and a screen full of
vertical barrs and sometimes there is the blue ring (consisted out of
balls) rotating. But still there is no X screen.

Now I thought to reinstall the X software (is it xorg??)

How can I do this with rpm or with up2date?

I couldn't get is to force install over the same X software.!!!

# rpm -qa | grep xorg

xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL-6.8.2-1.EL.52

xorg-x11-6.8.2-1.EL.52

xorg-x11-deprecated-libs-devel-6.8.2-1.EL.52

fonts-xorg-75dpi-6.8.2-1.EL

xorg-x11-devel-6.8.2-1.EL.52

xorg-x11-xfs-6.8.2-1.EL.52

xorg-x11-twm-6.8.2-1.EL.52

xorg-x11-xauth-6.8.2-1.EL.52

xorg-x11-libs-6.8.2-1.EL.52

xorg-x11-deprecated-libs-6.8.2-1.EL.52

xorg-x11-tools-6.8.2-1.EL.52

xorg-x11-Mesa-libGLU-6.8.2-1.EL.52

fonts-xorg-base-6.8.2-1.EL

fonts-xorg-100dpi-6.8.2-1.EL

xorg-x11-xdm-6.8.2-1.EL.52

xorg-x11-font-utils-6.8.2-1.EL.52

Met vriendelijke Groeten,

Tom Adriaansen

IT Beheerder | Infrastructure Services | IT Operations

* +31 314 34 9223
*
* tom.adriaansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Reed Business
Hanzestraat 1| 7006 RH Doetinchem
Postbus 4 | 7000 BA Doetinchem

www.reedbusiness.nl

  • Re: Home server decision
    ... I've found VMware Player hosted under Windows satisfactory ... It's also available hosted under Linux, ... garish colours and not enough control over the install process. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • RE: [PHP] Xampp question, pretty much 0T
    ... I suggest you look into VMWare. ... versions (player, server, etc) if you don't want Workstation (which I ... [PHP] Xampp question, pretty much 0T ... recommended it to me when I asked for an easy install of AMP. ...
    (php.general)
  • Re: VmWare?
    ... software builds in a linux envronment on Mac Mini running leopard. ... I just crank up the VMware engine running linux and start ... You install it, create a virtual PC that has ... I have a linux box running Ubuntu and the choices Ive ...
    (comp.os.cpm)
  • Re: [Info-ingres] Re: Installation question
    ... I'm trying to install the latest open source version on RedHat running ... inside of VMWare. ... So my question is this, if I do a manual install (rpm --install ...), are ... Now that I type this out, I wonder if my hand edits of the license script ...
    (comp.databases.ingres)
  • Re: OSR5 on VMware Server Beta SCSI?
    ... pops up with the "Bad Magic Number" error when trying to load BTLDs at the ... to be unable to integrate the BTLD into the kernel during the install, ... floppy image with the exact same results, on 2 different physical VMware ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)