wrong command

Hello all,

By mistake i run below command on root.
# chown <user> -R /

It changed the ownership of all directories with their respective files
then how i can recover my system from this problem ?
i think i have to change back ownership of all directories manually ?
or their is other way to do this.... ?
please tell me

--
With Regards,
Vivek Mangal

  • Re: /usr/ucb/ps causes disk space issues
    ... Anoop wrote: ... ownership, we cannot delete the created files. ... I might truss it when run as root to see what it's attempting to do to ... with either the ps command or the /tmp filesystem is odd, ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • RE: wrong command
    ... It's possible to retrieve file permissions belonging to a rpm package: ... By mistake i run below command on root. ... It changed the ownership of all directories with their respective files ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: wrong command
    ... By mistake i run below command on root. ... It changed the ownership of all directories with their respective files ... then how i can recover my system from this problem? ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: idiot question about chown
    ... Interland tells me to change ownership I need to use the command ... I looked in my Linux book and didn't see a mention of vchown. ... Is it a standard command, or something Interland whipped up for use on ... I didn't think anyone used regular telnet anymore, ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Security and Summary tabs missing?
    ... What happens when you use the takeown command to try to take ownership from the command line? ... What is the output of the icacls command for just listing the security permissions? ... The system is running Windows Server 2003 Standard, SP2, and I am logged in ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.file_system)