From: redhat-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:redhat-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Vivek Mangal
Sent: Friday 26 September 2008 15:20
To: Red Hat
Subject: wrong command

Hello all,

By mistake i run below command on root.
# chown <user> -R /

It changed the ownership of all directories with their respective files
then how i can recover my system from this problem ?
i think i have to change back ownership of all directories manually ?
or their is other way to do this.... ?
please tell me

--
With Regards,
Vivek Mangal

Atos Worldline SA/NV - Chaussee de Haecht 1442 Haachtsesteenweg
- 1130 Brussels - Belgium
RPM-RPR Bruxelles-Brussel - TVA-BTW BE 0418.547.872
Bankrekening-Compte Bancaire-Bank Account 310-0269424-44
BIC BBRUBEBB - IBAN BE55 3100 2694 2444

"The information contained in this e-mail and any attachment thereto is confidential and may contain information which is protected by intellectual property rights.
This information is intended for the exclusive use of the recipient(s) named above.
This e-mail does not constitute any binding relationship or offer toward any of the addressees.
If you are not one of the addressees , one of their employees or a proxy holder entitled to hand over this message to the addressee(s), any use of the information contained herein (e.g. reproduction, divulgation, communication or distribution,...) is prohibited.
If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and destroy it immediately after.
The integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed and it may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorized amendment, for which we accept no liability."

  • RE: wrong command
    ... By mistake i run below command on root. ... It changed the ownership of all directories with their respective files ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: /usr/ucb/ps causes disk space issues
    ... Anoop wrote: ... ownership, we cannot delete the created files. ... I might truss it when run as root to see what it's attempting to do to ... with either the ps command or the /tmp filesystem is odd, ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: wrong command
    ... By mistake i run below command on root. ... It changed the ownership of all directories with their respective files ... then how i can recover my system from this problem? ...
    (RedHat)
  • copy but preserve user ownership
    ... If I and logged on as root and I use the "cp" command on my Linux 6.2, ... but the ownership of the files change to "root". ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: idiot question about chown
    ... Interland tells me to change ownership I need to use the command ... I looked in my Linux book and didn't see a mention of vchown. ... Is it a standard command, or something Interland whipped up for use on ... I didn't think anyone used regular telnet anymore, ...
    (alt.linux)