Re: use of quad core computers

Rocks is a good distro, based on the redhat distro, although a separate one. The RHEL 5 OS is OK with quad core procs. How does it make use of them depends on the problem. If your problem is trivially parallel (its data set can be broken down into discrete chuncks), then you can run each chunk in a processor making use of CPU affinity (man taskset).

If your problem requires real parallelization, then yes, you need to install things like MPI. As far as I know, you are right. MPI does not come with RHEL, but you can easily download and compile it. We are using this one with RHEL 4, 5 and Fedora boxes:
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpich2/downloads/index.php?s=downloads

So, your investigators need to tell you a little bit more about the task at hand. The beauty of platforms like ROCKS is that they have all these things pre-setup for you. The bad thing is that you might need to install from scratch overwriting RHEL, if virtualization won't do the trick in your box(es).

George Magklaras BSc Hons MPhil
RHCE:805008309135525

Senior Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX-Linux Systems Administrator
EMBnet Technical Management Board
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo,
University of Oslo
http://folk.uio.no/georgios

Tel: +47-22840535

--

Margaret Doll wrote:
How does the RedHat operating system make use of quad core computers?

I believe that MPI does not come with RedHat. If my investigators wanted to run/test parallel jobs on the quad core computer, would I have to install something like Rocks with RedHat?

  • Re: Fedora - The Next Generation
    ... >> WhiteBox compiles and packages a distribution that is worthwhile to the ... Well, those imply taking something away from the host, and thus my ... > available for their RHEL but not necessarily in this form. ... something valuable to the community and, IMO, to RedHat. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: LINUX INSTALLATION PROBLEMS
    ... unable to make dual boot with WIN 7 and unable to install linux RedHat ... Do you mean Redhat Enterprise Linux 5.0? ... you need RHEL compatibility for commercial software then you can run RHEL ... install then you might try the latest version of Ubuntu, ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 licensing
    ... > one has one copy of RHEL 3 procured from RedHat, he can copy the media and ... of the Client and only for the Installed Systems with subscriptions. ... Basically it says that if you install RHEL on more than one system, ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: RHEL 4 Update Procedure
    ... and you are running mission critical servers then contact the vendor directly. ... So, we have set to the side an identical hardware config, which is used especially for this particular purpose. ... RedHat does perform in my experience fairly conservative and careful testing. ... I remember the SCSI affinity patches of the RHEL 3.0 series and how they affected read performance, making standard Dell kit run soooo slowly for some workloads. ...
    (RedHat)