Re: RHEL5 and Sun Java

Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
From: Cameron Simpson Sent: March 20, 2009 18:47
On 20Mar2009 16:32, Hugh E Cruickshank <hugh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| It appears to install fine until I get to the point where I am | supposed to install the Firefox (version 3.0.7) plugin. The target
| directory for libjavaplugin_oji.so (/usr/lib/firefox-3.0.7/plugins)
| did not exist so I created it and installed the symlink

Have you checked that the symlink resolves?

ls -ldL /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.7/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Bingo! I had the symlink pointing to itself. After the number of times
that I have done this to myself you would think I would have learned
by now to watch out for this but no, it seems I am doomed to repeat
this over and over again. Arghhhhh!

Anyway I removed the faulty symlink and created the correct one in the
/usr/lib/firefox-3.0.7/plugins/ directory and everything works fine
now (the Java Console shows up on the Tools menu and Firefox passes
the Java.com web test). Now to document the whole process to make sure
I can repeat it.

Thanks for your help!

Regards, Hugh

Of course, you could have just taken the easy option and installed the java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0.12-1jpp.3.el5.i586.rpm package from RHN...

E-mail : nmw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555

  • Re: html changes not showing
    ... Tried to install firefox, can't seem to get to go. ... When I came back most of the images had loaded but not all. ... Also don't forget to run the design checker tool. ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign)
  • Re: Firefox 4 reversed Open in a new window, and Open in a new tab
    ... If I was using Firefox 3 on my current computer, ... download and install Firefox 4 on top of it, ... For example, if I look for sqlite (a database type), I find the program ... The many .sqlite files are databases. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • IE is allowing virii/trojans/spyware etc. to install without help
    ... popups on the screen, and one looked like a normal ... window, as it didn't look quite right. ... Firefox desktop icon, ... the entire Firefox folder and install was gone. ...
  • Re: Getting close here folks! Looking good.
    ... On Wednesday 15 November 2006 20:27, Ric Moore wrote: ... bookmarks and stored passwords (for firefox) from my old FC2 ... install over so the current firefox can use them. ... It's probably safer to just copy your bookmarks and cookies folder ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: OT: Browser question
    ... Well outa those I would go for Firefox. ... you can install the IEtab plugin. ... autoplay I get a message saying that Flash needs to be upgraded. ... just uninstall Firefox and go back to the dinosaur version. ...
    (alt.guitar)