Re: Telnet is not working with iptables

Hello Siddiqui,

You are appending to the existing rules (option -A). There may be other rule
above your rule that is causing denial of the the specific port. Check the
rule list with iptables -nL command. You can also try inserting the rule
instead of appending (-I option). Another thing to try is, while trying to
do telnet on that specific port run iptables -nVL command at the destination
and observing the packet count increament you will understand what rule is
causing the problem.

Thanks and Regards,

Ahmed Sharif
Warid Telecom International Ltd

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Shariq Siddiqui

Hi All,

i am facing a lil bit problem, hope anyone out there can help me...

i want to open specific port using iptables i.e 3159

Whenever i tried to telnet it generates the following error

# telnet 3195
telnet: connect to address No route to host
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: No route to hostbut when I
stopped iptables

# service iptables stopIts working fine

i added the ports in iptables i.e.

#iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 3195 -j ACCEPTfor safe side I also added
telnet port

#iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 23 -j ACCEPT
but result was same....

In short telnet works without iptables but with iptables it generates the
error mentioned above

Best Regards,

Shariq Siddiqui
Advanced Operations Technology