Block device permissions

Hi everyone,

the Red Hat support wasn't much help so far, but perhaps you can help me:

After updating a few RHEL machines from 5.3 to 5.4 only root can access the lvm devices under /dev/mapper:

RHEL5-4 ~ # ll /dev/mapper/
total 0
crw------- 1 root root 10, 62 Sep 29 15:18 control
brw------- 1 root root 253, 0 Sep 29 15:18 vg_root-lv_root
brw------- 1 root root 253, 1 Sep 29 15:18 vg_root-lv_var

Before the update the permissions for the device files were 660 and the group was "disk" (default RHEL behaviour - I never configured this explicitly). Can anybody give me a hint about how to enable this behaviour again. I thought it had something to do with some changed udev rules, but even under RHEL 5.3 "udevinfo -q all -n /dev/mapper/vg_root-lv_root" just gives me "no record for 'mapper/vg_root-lv_root' in database", so I think udev has nothing to do with it. I think the device-mapper should change these permissions, but I'm not sure about this...

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

Best Regards,
René Schaffrath

PS: Yes I know, I could simply add 2 lines in /etc/rc.local or some other place, but this won't help me, if I ever activated / created a logical volume on a running system. For several reasons I definitely need the behaviour of pre 5.4 versions.

Mundipharma Vertriebsgesellschaft mbH & Co. KG
Mundipharma Straße 6
65549 Limburg (Lahn)
Tel: +49 (0)6431 701 0
Amtsgericht Limburg (Lahn) HRA 624

Persönlich haftende Gesellschafterin:
Mundipharma Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH, Sitz in Limburg (Lahn),
Registergericht Limburg (Lahn) HRB 462
Geschäftsführer:
Mortimer D. Sackler M.D., Raymond R. Sackler M.D.,
Richard S. Sackler M.D., Kathe A. Sackler M.D.,
Jonathan D. Sackler M.D., Mortimer David A. Sackler,
Samantha S. Sackler-Hunt, Peter Boer, Åke Wikström,
Gunther Niederheide, Jürgen Feld (stellvertretend),
Wolfgang Binz (stellvertretend)

  • RE: High Availability squid Proxy
    ... Subject: High Availability squid Proxy ... So i am planned to go for one more RHEL 5 server with cluster.Can ... Amtsgericht Limburg HRA 624 ... Mortimer D. Sackler M.D., Raymond R. Sackler M.D., ...
    (RedHat)
  • AW: How to remove a dummy interface on the fly
    ... in CentOS 5 I do "rmmod dummy" and all the dummies are gone. ... RX bytes:661724710 (631.0 MiB) TX bytes:105258270 ... Amtsgericht Limburg HRA 624 ... Mortimer D. Sackler M.D., Raymond R. Sackler M.D., ...
    (RedHat)
  • RE: Default params for quorumdisk
    ... I'm definitely no fan of the RHEL Cluster Suite, ... Amtsgericht Limburg (Lahn) HRA 624 ... Mortimer D. Sackler M.D., Raymond R. Sackler M.D., ...
    (RedHat)
  • AW: SAN configuration
    ... Blade chassis.I am using Linux in all the servers. ... how to configure SAN Swtich in side Server? ... Amtsgericht Limburg HRA 624 ... Mortimer D. Sackler M.D., Raymond R. Sackler M.D., ...
    (RedHat)