RE: mirroring

It might be possible with software raid. I don't think it would be with
hardware raid because you'd have to delete partitions etc.

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:redhat-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sir June
Sent: Tuesday, 20 October 2009 1:13 p.m.
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: mirroring

Hi,

I have 2 identical disks but I had installed RHEL 4 on first disk only,
i have /boot and / partitions only. Now, i want to have mirror (raid1)
with the 2nd disk. Can i do this without destroying data on the 1st
disk? Is there a good howto out there ?

Sir June

online at tvnz.co.nz

  • Re: Windows RAID
    ... is that software RAID can make either RAID 0+1 or RAID 1+0 volumes. ... One is striping and then mirroring (RAID 0+1, ... The only exception is that Linux md RAID10 is getting very popular as a faster alternative to a simple RAID1 disk pair. ... It is /definitely/ a good choice for large RAID5 or RAID6 arrays, to minimize the costs of rebuilds and small writes. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • RE: Mirrored Drives in XP Pro
    ... Mirroring in Device Manager isn't RAID as such, ... This works on single partitions, ... When I go into Disk ...
  • Re: Software RAID disk partitioning (FC1)
    ... >What I am not sure is how do I create regular partitions now? ... >I read the Software RAID howto but could not find relevant information. ... Did you de-select the other disk when creating each software raid ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Fedora and Software Raid
    ... >> software RAID. ... >> creating partitions on the disks. ... In which case the installer is not able to let me tell which raid I want to ... I ended up with installing FC4 on on of the disk, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: New BSD Installer
    ... I have a lot of machines booting from gmirror, ... Am I the only one person on the whole earth seeing the big difference in easy setup of mirroring two drives instead of many individual partitions? ... Freddie Cash already write about disk thrashing on rebuild after power failure, but initial setup or repair after disk replacement is also pain with mirroring individual partitions. ...
    (freebsd-stable)