Re: Compiling Kernel

Masoom Siddiqui wrote:
Did anyone ever had the need to compile kernel for specific reasons? I'd
like to know of possible scenarios where a company requires something
specific. I'm guessing this would be beyond web and email hosting.

Yes, I currently recompile the kernel for my laptop because
I want the ps2 mouse driver to be a module. My laptop will
not power on correctly unless the module is unloaded at
shutdown, and it can't be unloaded if it's not a module.

I also compiled a kernel for a computer that had a specific
wireless interface. Although there were instructions for
how to compile just the module, it didn't work correctly with
a Red Hat kernel. I found that if I downloaded the kernel
source from kernel.org I was able to compile the module.

Obviously these are unusual circumstances and I wouldn't
ever recommend compiling a kernel for a production system.
However I must say that I learned a lot in the process.

  • Re: Problems in kernel migration from 2.4 to 2.6
    ... Since I compiled the 2.6.12.6 kernel and booted my laptop, ... Are you sure the initrd was correctly made. ... I just used aptitude to get the 2.6 kernel first, ... don't use an initrd and just compile in the drivers for my ide and ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: linux on a old laptop
    ... I need help i'v got and old laptop that pritty slow runing ... enough memory to load the kernel -- and you'll need to ... I would use Gentoo -- I've managed to compile a kernel less ... and if you can't boot from a CD I'm not sure how you'd boot ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Distributions
    ... | general there are a lot of packages for people to use. ... kernel, have to run on a multitude of different systems, they tend to be ... and slower than if you compile those packages, ... can have that stability with virtually any distro. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [SLE] AMD K6 support
    ... but it's my only laptop until Dell gets me my replacement next ... > You know you don't have to be on the K6 just to compile a kernel targeted ... I replaced it with a like unit and my disk access times ... wireless I would still be using the 2.4.19 kernel. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Distributions
    ... Ubuntu is based on Debian, ... | general there are a lot of packages for people to use. ... kernel, have to run on a multitude of different systems, they tend to be larger ... and slower than if you compile those packages, ...
    (Debian-User)