Re: I can´t see my disks on /dev

ESGLinux wrote:
Hi All,

I have a RHEL server and I have a strange problem with my disks.

First I have two disks in RAID1 (hardware). I see the raid device as
/dev/sda.

I have plugged two new disks but I don´t have made a RAID with them. If I
reboot the machine I see the four disks detected but I don´t get a device
asociated to the new disks.
If I make dmesg I see the four disks, but if I make fdisk -l I only see
/dev/sda,

Why can´t I see the new disks?
<snip>
Ah, right. Let me guess: a PERC controller, or some hardware HBA? Are all
of the drives on the HBA bus? Based on my recent experience with Dell
boxen with PERC (6 and 7) controllers, you cannot see a drive until you
create it at least as a virtual drive of RAID 0.

*sigh*

mark

  • Re: linux raid vs hw raid
    ... old fileserver hardware I have on hand. ... But, as you probably know, these drives are reasonably ... desktop-class drives as JBODs and using mdadm to RAID them. ... want to move to bigger disks. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: New computer case - 23 bay
    ... I wouldn't mind going down the two separate cases route, ... o Selling your disks and moving to fewer large capacity disks ... What I think you should consider is RAID 6... ... All SCSI 10K drives. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: linux raid vs hw raid
    ... arrays from partitions, not just whole disks. ... RAID on partitions is a great idea, I'm using it here with 6 x 1TB ... drives for the RAID, and a 2TB drive for backup, bounce buffer. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: A8N SLI Deluxe Question
    ... > Currently the drives are partitioned and my apps are on one partition. ... Someone suggested using RAID 0. ... The media rates for disks are still in the ~70MB/sec range ... the array reports certain errors. ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i hangs system at boot
    ... TB disks to it. ... Should I first create an empty array with "mdadm --create ... Don't partition the drives before creating your md array. ... RAID arrays containing partitions are bad. ...
    (Debian-User)