RE: Automation across physical servers / VMWare

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
VAT BE 0406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING 310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:redhat-list-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Chaim Rieger
Sent: woensdag 7 december 2011 19:22
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: Re: Automation across physical servers / VMWare

On 12/7/2011 10:02 AM, Daniel Tate wrote:
We have the need to roll out many servers in a short amount of time,
each with about 8 additional, server specific tools on it. What
would be the simplest way to do this? Kickstart would be OK, but if
there's something a LITTLE faster but not so complicated it would take
a week to learn, that would be preferable. We're going to have 4
configs - RHEL5 32 and 64 bit (Vendor Reqs)

I do not think that vmware is the correct tool for this

you can setup a template driven image library and then deploy them based
on preconditions. but not using vmware,

with vmware you can clone your golden image, but thats about it.

We've recently started using VMWare's LabManager and this allows the creation of templates with a customization script that's run automatically after the template is deployed.

In our test environment I use the post install script to register the machines automatically to our satellite.

Another approach would be similar to what mark suggested: build a minimal server with kickstart but then install whatever else is needed through different channels, custom built RPM packages with deps to whatever you need installed etc.

Or - but unless you have something set up already this won't fit your time requirements - use a tool like cfengine.

Regards

Bram

  • RE: [PHP] Xampp question, pretty much 0T
    ... I suggest you look into VMWare. ... versions (player, server, etc) if you don't want Workstation (which I ... [PHP] Xampp question, pretty much 0T ... recommended it to me when I asked for an easy install of AMP. ...
    (php.general)
  • Re: vmware
    ... I can install vmware server onto my local Ubuntu ... creating and converting vmx files on vmware player, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: ssh package for OS 5.0.6
    ... I installed an available version of OpenSSH, ... | day from a remote linux server to the SCO guest running on VMWare ... I added in the curl part because some install solutions need it. ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: Exchange 2007 and Virtualisation
    ... That's great, I'll be VMwareing it soon, under Vmware Infrastructure 3, ... reason is I have a Vmware server with 32GB RAM not doing much and my current ... It'll connect well enough to the busy virtuals, ... The RTM install seems more picky. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.setup)
  • Re: network sharing
    ... Could you point me to a doc to configure/test my network from VMWare to my host? ... There is no artificial distinction between desktop and server in Linux. ... apt-get install samba smbclient swat ...
    (Ubuntu)