Re: How do I tell RedHat that I have deleted packages and don't want YUM to put them back

Hi Rob,

Give this a shot:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/rhel-fedora-centos-linux-yum-disable-certain-packages-from-being-installed/

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Rob Tanner <rtanner@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I'm running a web server Enterprise 5.x and it had the distro version
(5.1.6) of PHP which, unfortunately, is too old a version for WordPress
which requires at least PHP 5.2.x and so I built that from source. The
problem I have is when I run updates since the update process will replace
the libphp5.so Apache module which, in turn, breaks WordPress. My solution
was to erase the distro PHP packages and what I want to make sure is that
yum doesn't put them back the next time RedHat updates one of them.

So, is the fact that they're erased sufficient in itself or do I need to
run some other program update the machines profile at RedHat?

Thanks,

Rob Tanner
Linfield College