Re: [SLE] installing without booting

From: David T-G (davidtg-suse-linux-e_at_justpickone.org)
Date: 07/21/03

    Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 21:04:36 -0400
    To: "SuSE Linux (English) list" <suse-linux-e@suse.com>

    Carlos, et al --

    ...and then Carlos E. R. said...
    %
    % On 2003.07.18 15:50 David T-G wrote:
    %
    % > I think that all of the RPMs I see on my 8.1 are 586 or 686. I also have
    % > SuSE 6.1 for anything really old, but it's a pain to have to go and
    % > compile everything so I just won't go out and get any 486s any time soon!
    %
    % They are all compiled for a plain pentium in suse 8.2, I guess:
    %
    % optflags: i686 -O2 -march=i686 -mcpu=i686

    Isn't a plain pentium a 586 and a Pentium II / Celeron a 686?

    %
    %
    % >
    % > % You might boot from a diskete, and tell it to use an ftp source.
    % >
    % > No floppy, either :-) Didn't even think to mention that one...
    %
    % Just an stupid question: O:-)

    *grin*

    %
    % What happens if it breaks down one day? You have no way to get into it...

    If it breaks then it breaks. I pop the drive out, take it over to the
    guy who built it for me and perhaps even get a new LFS load on it. Since
    LILO talks to the serial console, though, the first thing I try is booting
    from the alternate partition (which currently has the LFS build on it the
    same as the primary) and do the repairs from there. [That's what I'd do
    once SuSE, or whatever it turns out to be, is finally installed.]

    %
    %
    % > Thanks again & HAND
    %
    % Ahhh...! I don't have "HAND" in my acronyms list :-?

    I see that Anders has already answered this one for me :-)

    %
    % --
    % Cheers,
    % Carlos Robinson