Re: [SLE] Linux on Compaq Proliant 1600

From: pheonix1t (pheonix1t_at_houston.rr.com)
Date: 08/04/03

    Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 12:20:03 -0500
    To: Stuart Powell <SPowell@pcsolutionsmn.com>

    Stuart Powell wrote:

    > Hello, everyone.
    >
    > I am having trouble getting a recent Linux distro to install on a
    > Compaq Proliant 1600. It has 2xPIII-500/512MB/SA221/3x9GB/RAID5. My
    > ultimate goal is to install Mandrake 9.1 on it, as that is what the
    > developers for Qmail-Toaster recommend.
    >
    > I have done a search for this problem, and have found that older
    > Linices seem to be OK on this platform, but newer versions seem prone to
    > failures during installation. So far, I have tried RedHat7.2, which
    > worked just fine, and SuSE8.0, SuSE8.2 and Mandrake9.1, all of which
    > fail. I am willing to try SuSE7.3, but would like a newer distro if
    > possible. Does anyone know for certain why these newer distros seem to
    > be incompatible with the Proliant 1600 when the older distros appear to
    > work OK ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Stuart.

    are u using the smartstart CD for installation? This makes it so much
    easier....

    • Re: [SLE] Installing other distros RPM packages?
      ... >>that whilst it may be possible to install other distro RPM's on our ... >>those packages from source into a SuSE RPM and then installing it? ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Time to start Linuxing..some questions?
      ... Now I need a distro. ... looks and feels just like Windows' window manager on it. ... You can install MandrivaOne onto your ... servers if you get tired of doing it by hand. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: [kde] Kickoff Menu Config
      ... and then when I install a new ... know what the 'default feel' of a distro, ... KDE's config comes from multiple places. ... menus are not kept in $KDEHOME (and the system parallel ...
      (KDE)
    • Re: Time to start Linuxing..some questions?
      ... Now I need a distro. ... looks and feels just like Windows' window manager on it. ... you can choose to install as much or as little as you want. ... servers if you get tired of doing it by hand. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: Disappointed with Ubuntu.
      ... about computer hardware and learn to google around. ... I have had the temerity to criticize a distro, ... That is pretty much the way a Gentoo install works. ... drives are cheaper now anyway. ...
      (alt.linux)