[SLE] 3Ware raid card question....ya, another one.

From: Tom Nielsen (tom_at_neuro-logic.com)
Date: 09/05/03

    To: Suse <suse-linux-e@suse.com>
    Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 11:32:03 -0700

    I got my card in and working. I'm currently booting and running my
    system off the drive that is connected to the card. I have a second,
    blank drive connected to the card as well waiting to have a mirror image
    put on it. My problem is this, I go into the card bios on boot and see
    my two drives. I mark them both and then click on 'create array'. At
    this point a message pops up saying "creating an array will remove data
    from your drives." I get scared and abort.

    Am I wrong in thinking that creating an array (raid 1) should not remove
    my data from the drive on port 0 but should on port 1? Am I going to
    lose data on port 0 by creating this array? If so, why? That seems a bit
    silly.

    I ask because the manual does really say what's going to happen and
    appears to be a bit generic.

    Thanks,
    Tom

    --