[SLE] 3Ware raid card question....ya, another one.

From: Tom Nielsen (tom_at_neuro-logic.com)
Date: 09/05/03

    To: Suse <suse-linux-e@suse.com>
    Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 11:32:03 -0700

    I got my card in and working. I'm currently booting and running my
    system off the drive that is connected to the card. I have a second,
    blank drive connected to the card as well waiting to have a mirror image
    put on it. My problem is this, I go into the card bios on boot and see
    my two drives. I mark them both and then click on 'create array'. At
    this point a message pops up saying "creating an array will remove data
    from your drives." I get scared and abort.

    Am I wrong in thinking that creating an array (raid 1) should not remove
    my data from the drive on port 0 but should on port 1? Am I going to
    lose data on port 0 by creating this array? If so, why? That seems a bit
    silly.

    I ask because the manual does really say what's going to happen and
    appears to be a bit generic.

    Thanks,
    Tom

    --
    Tom Nielsen
    Neuro Logic Systems

    • Re: Supermicro SAS controller
      ... get a 24 port Intel 6Gb SAS expander: ... This solution connects all 20 drives on all 5 backplanes to the HBA, ... You connect the SFF8087 of the LSI card to port 0 of the SAS ... This card is a real hardware RAID ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Seeking advice on planned new build
      ... Sound Card: ... Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 or 750 ... the two optical drives to give them all better air circulation). ...
      (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
    • Re: 3B2 Disks
      ... Pure MFM. ... SCSI came much later as an add on card. ... Biggest MFM disk was ~70 meg. ... I actually used my first MFM drives (a pair of Ampex 27 MB ...
      (comp.sys.3b1)
    • Re: [SLE] 3Ware raid card question....ya, another one.
      ... The manuals used to say that mirrors were created by copying port 0 to ... > system off the drive that is connected to the card. ... > my two drives. ... I mark them both and then click on 'create array'. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: URGENT: Need help rebuilding iir RAID5 array with failed drive
      ... Unix environment because Intel only provides instructions for how to ... The drives are labeled so the RAID controller will know a drive was ... You just need to tell the controller to add it to the array ... I haven't seen an Intel card in a while, but if you see an "initialize" ...
      (freebsd-current)