Re: [SLE] upgrading aaa_base and k_deflt ...

From: Sid Boyce (sboyce_at_blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 09/14/03

    Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 19:22:14 +0100
    To: Anders Karlsson <anders@trudheim.com>

            I have a problem where kdm bombs out and restarts if I try logging in
    as a user, there is no noticeable error in any log either.
    I reckoned this was after upgrading to the Kraxel aaa_base package. I
    upgraded --oldpackage to the version on the DVD, but still have the
    problem. I can login as root from KDM or login as a user by "xterm -e
    login user &", I'm quite baffled.
    Regards
    Sid.

    Anders Karlsson wrote:
    > On Sat, 2003-09-13 at 03:13, Thinker wrote:
    >
    >>Synaptic is showing me an update for aaa_base (from 2003.3.18-2 to
    >>2003.8.16-0). When I tell it to update I get the message that this will
    >>require the removal of k_deflt. When I look at the description for
    >>k_deflt it says (Installed verson 2.4.20-62 Available version 2.4.20-100
    >>Description... the standard kernel.
    >

    > Got a few words for you - Don't Do It! The updated aaa_base package
    > lacks mkinitrd, and grabbing the mkinitrd package will not help. The
    > initrd's you get after doing this update will not boot. They lack mount,
    > umount etc. and even if you manage to get those commands onto the
    > initrd, the initrd still is screwed because it doesn't load the lvm
    > module (if you are using LVM that is).
    >

    >>Seems pretty scary to me. I suppose the question is.. is this something
    >>I should mess with? Should I upgrade k_deflt before attempting to
    >>upgrade aaa_base? Is there a special procedure for this?
    >

    > It should not need to mess about with your k_deflt, that is for sure.
    >
    > Regards,

    • portupgrade strangeness
      ... since upgrading ruby to 1.8 and portupgrade i've got ports that won't ... but portversion says it's out of date, yet portupgrade says it's current? ... package 'ruby-bdb1-0.2.1' is required by these other packages ...
      (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
    • Re: debian
      ... pre-packaged distribution offers. ... At the very least, upgrading the official distribution ... been replaced, wah, wah, wah!!! ... best idea to replace the supplied package with something leaving red trails ...
      (alt.linux)
    • Re: yum flavors vs/ fc1, fc2, fc3...infinity
      ... expecting something other than reality. ... when using ANY test releaese and upgrading it using ANY method..be ... If your expecting a running system after upgrading to or from a ... package downgrades that can occur between the last test release isos ...
      (Fedora)
    • [USN-17-1] passwd vulnerability
      ... Ubuntu 4.10 ... The following packages are affected: ... The problem can be corrected by upgrading the affected package to ... their login shell without having to change their password. ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • [Full-Disclosure] [USN-17-1] passwd vulnerability
      ... Ubuntu 4.10 ... The following packages are affected: ... The problem can be corrected by upgrading the affected package to ... their login shell without having to change their password. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)