[SLE] Running X programs as non root

From: Jim Norton (jrn_at_oregonhanggliding.com)
Date: 09/19/03

    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com
    Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:25:49 -0700 (PDT)

    Hello:

    I have some programs that try to run but fail to open the X display device.
    However it works fine when I am logged in and running X as root.

    I thought the 'sux' command would fix this program. Is there any way to
    run these programs short of logging out and starting X as root?

    Thanks,
    Jim

    • Re: User?s and Shells
      ... I tought that even root cannot use the command above as it would fail ...
      (Focus-Linux)
    • Re: Apple recommending anti-virus software for Macs?
      ... > To be ultra-safe with the 'rm' command, ... Not a bad idea for root, It would drive me nuts in my user account. ... downloads directory and executing it. ... That I type an EOF is a trivial difference versus 'sudo' exiting ...
      (comp.sys.mac.system)
    • Re: [ squeeze ] Grub2 RAID1 LVM2 boot failure
      ... insmod mdraid ... That UUID it's not the same that grub will use for boot. ... the `root` partition from the point of view of grub is the partition ... BTW this command is undocummented in the wiki, ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: [opensuse] su - -c $command user ???
      ... I'd like to calculate a command-string as root and pass it with su ... into the context of a unprivileged user to run the command not as ... Basically I need to know $d after the daemonuser created and filled ... Note the echo isn't really going to be a fully valuable ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: System-users and-groups?
      ... bin shouldn't do so much. ... was root and bin... ... Although the daemon user/group are ... as that user runs that command. ...
      (alt.linux)