[SLE] File-system structure from a recent immigrant from the land of Red Hat

From: Peter N. Spotts (pspotts_at_alum.mit.edu)
Date: 11/12/03

    Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:37:30 -0500
    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com

    Folks,

    I just replaced RH 8.0 with SuSE 9.0 on my dual-boot Toshiba Satellite
    1905-303 and the conversion went flawlessly. Interestingly, when I
    finished, I noticed that SuSE had established several "data" partitions,
    one of which sent me back to the Windows XP side of the box. Having read
    about some of 9.0's greatest hits in advance of installation, I expected
    that. I didn't expect the other four data partitions, which seem to
    contain former Red Hat directories, including /home/~. Can someone give
    me the Cliffs Notes version of what SuSE decides to preserve from an
    older installation when SuSE installs? And how easy is it to return
    those partitions to wider use once I've determined that I no longer need
    the files they contain?

    Best regards,

    Pete