[SLE] File-system structure from a recent immigrant from the land of Red Hat

From: Peter N. Spotts (pspotts_at_alum.mit.edu)
Date: 11/12/03

    Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:37:30 -0500
    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com

    Folks,

    I just replaced RH 8.0 with SuSE 9.0 on my dual-boot Toshiba Satellite
    1905-303 and the conversion went flawlessly. Interestingly, when I
    finished, I noticed that SuSE had established several "data" partitions,
    one of which sent me back to the Windows XP side of the box. Having read
    about some of 9.0's greatest hits in advance of installation, I expected
    that. I didn't expect the other four data partitions, which seem to
    contain former Red Hat directories, including /home/~. Can someone give
    me the Cliffs Notes version of what SuSE decides to preserve from an
    older installation when SuSE installs? And how easy is it to return
    those partitions to wider use once I've determined that I no longer need
    the files they contain?

    Best regards,

    Pete

    • Re: Goals for the year
      ... my installation? ... the thing I don't want to do is mess up my suse partitions ... but only if it just messes up the FreeBSD stuff. ... trying to put Mandrake as a tri boot just installed over my suse ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: Removing Suse 9.0 from WinXP Pro hard drive
      ... > Ive installed suse 9.0 on the same hard drive as winxp Pro. ... I would simply run a new installation of SuSE, ... As soon as everything works properly, you can delete the old partitions ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: [SLE] RH-to-Suse migration
      ... The only time I've seen SuSE ... installation program create partitions is when there were no partitions ... > installing Suse, must it be a clean install, or can one use the ... Or does Suse's installation software wipe the disk ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Installing Suse Linux 10
      ... but you obviously didn't read it before doing the installation. ... I have three books on SUSE ... Grub is your boot loader. ... harddrive containing Windows, is the "ideal" solution. ...
      (alt.os.linux)
    • Re: Help: Replacing my Windows partition with Linux in a dual boot machine.
      ... a dual boot Linux/linux machine is not well documented ... > Suse and Red Hat. ... Both partitions are ext3 partitions. ... "expert mode" of the "installation settings" dialog within the setup ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)