[SLE] vi

From: Chris Purcell (suse_at_cjp.us)
Date: 11/24/03

    Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 18:14:43 -0500 (EST)
    To: <suse-linux-e@suse.com>

    I recently switched from Red Hat to SuSE and am having some trouble with
    the way that vi behaves in SuSE by default.

    - How do you turn on syntax highlighting?
    - After you press Enter on a line (to add a carriage return), you can't go
    back to it and use the backspace key on any characters in that line. If
    you want to delete that line later (or any characters in it), you have to
    go to the beginning of the line and hold the Delete key, or enter command
    mode and use dd (to delete the entire line).
    - If you have a blank line, the only way to delete it is to use dd in
    Command mode. You can't just press Delete or Backspace on it (in Insert
    mode).

    Thanks,
    Chris

    • Re: [SLE] Please Help ! gtk fonts -Solved !!
      ... found out that I did not have gnome-control-center installed. ... To all who advised me it would be in Control Center; ... gnome-control-center must be run from the command line. ... There is not a word anywhere from SuSE about these things and their ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: [opensuse] Re: simple LAN
      ... No. Kenneth on this list learned me about the command ip a which is ... not mentioned in O'Reilly's Nutshell or the SuSE manual. ... about how to find unknown IP addresses of computers in a LAN. ... if your internet router acts as a firewall for your ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Installing packages
      ... Suse is there a command line packaging system similar to either urpmi ... Can I configure Yast software management to download software from ... opened up the gui installer and installed it from CD1 & 2. ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: [SLE] printer loss [susepro 9.1]
      ... > I found that I had added port 631 to the firewall and the ... What does the command kcmshell printmgr show? ... required that you set a cups admin passwd with lppasswd -g sys root in ... UNIX since 1989, linux since 1994, SuSE since 1998 ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Redhat vs SUSE
      ... >> command prompt you just type service network restart or whatever you are ... SUSE doesn't have this service so do you have to start up ... > Get familiar with the GUI version of the YaST tool. ... figure out how to install a compiler on your system. ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)