[SLE] NIS NFS LDAP SMB WINS DNS SAM Where's it going?

From: Steven T. Hatton (hattons_at_speakeasy.net)
Date: 01/24/04

    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com
    Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 13:43:51 -0500

    I didn't even mention UDDI in the subject header. I've played with NIS and
    NFS on and off over the years, and I've used SMB and WINS out of necessity as
    well. I like the autofs feature available with NIS and NFS. I'm wondering
    how these various technologies compare. I'm also interested in to know how
    well they can be made to work together. There are two distinct categories
    I've drawn from. One is network file sharing, the other is naming,
    authentication and access control. The are, however closely bound to one
    another. For me, NIS/NFS has always been run in a very restricted
    environment, and limited to a few systems I had control over. I never
    learned it very well, and always found the tools for working with it less
    than intuitive.

    Has anybody had extensive experience in this area? I'm interested to hear
    your thoughts on this.

    STH

    • Re: [SLE] NIS NFS LDAP SMB WINS DNS SAM Wheres it going?
      ... > I didn't even mention UDDI in the subject header. ... I like the autofs feature available with NIS and NFS. ... > STH ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: [SLE] NIS NFS LDAP SMB WINS DNS SAM Wheres it going?
      ... > I didn't even mention UDDI in the subject header. ... I like the autofs feature available with NIS and NFS. ... Extensive as of getting a 20 node lan up from P-II's. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: NIS and non-NIS question
      ... > I have a box I want to rework to allow it to operate outside a NIS ... > enviroment when outside my LAN and use NIS and NFS when it is not. ... On the other hand, if you are running NFS, ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: incomplete passwd file
      ... One of our servers (RHAS 4, NIS ... We booted from CD copying a backup over the passwd file. ... The server lost ... connection to NIS and NFS before this problem appeared (NIS and NFS ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Permission problems with NIS, NFS or Automount
      ... rogue /etc/passwd entries on the NFS box causing problems for you. ... netgroup steps below to reinstate the users via NIS. ... re-created a NIS domain and automounting of users home directories when they ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)