[SLE] migrating to 2.6 kernel

From: David M. Fetter (dfetter_at_pdx.edu)
Date: 02/26/04

    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com
    Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:43:16 -0800

    I'm looking into migrating from the 2.4 to the 2.6 kernel under SuSE
    9.0. Since it comes with it I'm assuming there really isn't too much
    difficulty to do this. Are there any caveats or problems in doing
    this? My main problem however is the potential security vulnerabilities
    and/or just plain improvements. If I move to the out-of-box 2.6-pre
    kernel, will suse have newer version available from the online update
    tool? How about just for getting a stable release of the 2.6 kernel
    instead of the 2.6-pre? Even though I'm doing this just on my desktop,
    I still like things to be stable. I'm not much into having a half buggy
    system to work on. Anybody know anything about this? Thanks.

    --
    David M. Fetter - UNIX Systems Administrator
    Portland State University - www.oit.pdx.edu