Re: [SLE] fsck!!!

From: Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) (hylton_at_global.co.za)
Date: 02/28/04

    Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 18:35:44 +0200
    To: SLE <suse-linux-e@suse.com>

    Carlos E. R. wrote:
    > The Thursday 2004-02-26 at 15:57 +0200, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
    >> ....fscking the system and repairing the fs if necessary.....
    >
    > Mmm. If the problem is in the root partition, it may have problems reading
    > some files. Also, considering your fstab:
    >
    > /dev/hdb1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    > /dev/hdb9 /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
    > /dev/hdb8 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
    > /dev/hdb10 /opt ext3 defaults 1 2
    > /dev/hdb6 /usr ext3 defaults 1 2
    > /dev/hdb7 /var ext3 defaults 1 2
    >

    > At that point, only "/" is mounted, not "/usr" nor "/var" - it may need
    > something in there. It is not the first time they put something in /usr
    > that is needed during the manual fsck part.
    So basically the program needed might not be accessible from the hdb
    partitions. GREAT :(

    [snip]
    >>In my case with all the partition in the fstasb file I figured it would
    >>just be better to walk through that and fsck the lot with thfsck -VAa option.
    >
    > Eummmm.... I have an idea, read on.
    >

    >>>Hold on a moment... Additional options? It is a command to be entered at a
    >>>command line prompt. Where are you typing it?
    >>
    >>When LiLo rears its bootloader it has a few options namely Boot from
    >>local harddisk, boot safely, rescue mode and a couple of others. Just
    >>below it is a space to enter cli commands. That is where I added the
    >>additional options.
    >

    > Gosh! No wonder it doesn't work! Commands have to be entered at a command
    > prompt
    Oops :)

    OK, my new understanding so far ie:
    1. Don't fsck a mounted partition
    2. Boot from a CD/floppy to get cli access

    > Ok, I don't have SuSE 9.0, only 8.2, but I can guess what that rescue
    > entry is. Not good enough in this case.
    I dunno, but it sure as hell is on the lilo menu if I boot from CD.

    > You need to boot the rescue system, from the CD or DVD, not from the HD.
    OK that's easy enough ie insert CD 1 and reboot...np.

    > Get to the bash command prompt there....
    HOW?? When the machine reboots I am presented with a lilo graphical menu
    enabling me to either Boot from HDD, Installation, Installation with
    ACPI disabled, Install - Safe settings, Manual install, Rescue System,
    Memory Test. There is no option to go into a CLI mode???

    Choosing the Rescue System option the system starts asking me about my
    kb type. Right there and then I exited out of it as it looked too much
    like install, and asides you said to get into a CLI.

    > ....., and issue the fsck command plus
    > options there. Something like "fsck /dev/hdb1".
    OK understood, but getting to the CLI from CD 1 seems to be the problem
    ie is there some special Susian key combination needed to access it or
    something...like Ctrl-Alt-Del :)
    Asides from that then how am I going to be able to issue a fsck command
    like -VAa which will step through the fstab file if the fsck doesn't
    know where to find it?

    > Now my second idea, your fstab, which I saw on another post. There you
    > have entries for hdb and hdc - but you mention that hdc was later removed.
    > If there are entries for hdc (hdc1, for example, a windows mount), but no
    > hdc disk on the system, it will not boot! And it will precisely tell you
    > to fsck manually.
    surprise, surprise, the system still boots OK, into linux thankfully.
    hdc contained Win95 and was moved for testing purposes. It will never be
    reinstalled into the linux machine. I was wondering about commenting out
    those entries of hdc or even deleting them.

    > So, you have to manually mount that disk from inside the rescue CD, edit
    > the fstab (with vi, I don't think there is anything else there), and
    > comment out those lines.
    KWrite will do it too thankfully when logged into another X session.

    >>>Well...
    >>>
    >>>The man pages of e2fsck and resiserfsck are printed at the end of the SuSE
    >>>admin book just for these ocassions.
    so I see....but there aren't half the options listed there that are
    listed on the fsck man page. I'll resort to my own written notes about this.

    > I wrote my notes about this on a handbook, but they are on another city
    > right now. O:-)
    UPS delivers worldwide I hear :)

    A little informed but still desperate to fsck (defrag?) the system. I am
    trying to leave the machine on as much as possible here and so far
    haven't been hit by a power outage....yet. When it does hit I am going
    to need to know howto use this fsck thing immediately.

    So the questions remain:
    1. How to get to the CLI from the rescue option when booting off the CD?
    2. How can I get fsck to walk through my fstab file if the / partition
    isn't mounted?
    3. What fsck -option would be the best to check and repair the fs's and
    also give me verbose output and a progress bar

    Hylton

    --
    The fscking desperate Little Helper

    • Re: mkraid could not lock sda2
      ... Your fstab shows that sda1 is being used, ... going to try to boot from your raid array, mark the partition as bootable. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: unable to access sda2 on boot - SOLVED
      ... which FC I want to boot 2.6.20 or 2.6.19. ... Should I start with the fstab changes you suggested? ... That's drives, not ports, it doesn't count unused ports. ... > The resume message means the system couldn't find the drive partition to ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: issue with fstab and fsck after upgrade
      ... Whenever I boot the system drops me into a subshell and then tells me ... I need to fsck. ... This is my fstab: ... conditions in which the gutsy upgrade gets fstab wrong. ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: [opensuse] No longer a GRUB problem
      ... sometimes needed the fsck step. ... number is smaller with every boot. ... don't know if I can just make another partition on the same HD, ... For several years its HDs had 5 year warranties. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: [opensuse] ext3 check forced = frustration
      ... every file system on EVERY boot up. ... and today I passed again the 60 days limit without checking ext3 and I had to wait 10 minutes for the 200GB partition to be checked. ... What is the use of investing a lot of effort into reducing the boot time by precious seconds to give users a better Linux experience, if you have to wait 10 minutes for fsck every time you boot (since Linux ...
      (SuSE)