Re: [SLE] fsck!!!

From: Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) (hylton_at_global.co.za)
Date: 02/28/04

    Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 18:35:44 +0200
    To: SLE <suse-linux-e@suse.com>

    Carlos E. R. wrote:
    > The Thursday 2004-02-26 at 15:57 +0200, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
    >> ....fscking the system and repairing the fs if necessary.....
    >
    > Mmm. If the problem is in the root partition, it may have problems reading
    > some files. Also, considering your fstab:
    >
    > /dev/hdb1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    > /dev/hdb9 /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
    > /dev/hdb8 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
    > /dev/hdb10 /opt ext3 defaults 1 2
    > /dev/hdb6 /usr ext3 defaults 1 2
    > /dev/hdb7 /var ext3 defaults 1 2
    >

    > At that point, only "/" is mounted, not "/usr" nor "/var" - it may need
    > something in there. It is not the first time they put something in /usr
    > that is needed during the manual fsck part.
    So basically the program needed might not be accessible from the hdb
    partitions. GREAT :(

    [snip]
    >>In my case with all the partition in the fstasb file I figured it would
    >>just be better to walk through that and fsck the lot with thfsck -VAa option.
    >
    > Eummmm.... I have an idea, read on.
    >

    >>>Hold on a moment... Additional options? It is a command to be entered at a
    >>>command line prompt. Where are you typing it?
    >>
    >>When LiLo rears its bootloader it has a few options namely Boot from
    >>local harddisk, boot safely, rescue mode and a couple of others. Just
    >>below it is a space to enter cli commands. That is where I added the
    >>additional options.
    >

    > Gosh! No wonder it doesn't work! Commands have to be entered at a command
    > prompt
    Oops :)

    OK, my new understanding so far ie:
    1. Don't fsck a mounted partition
    2. Boot from a CD/floppy to get cli access

    > Ok, I don't have SuSE 9.0, only 8.2, but I can guess what that rescue
    > entry is. Not good enough in this case.
    I dunno, but it sure as hell is on the lilo menu if I boot from CD.

    > You need to boot the rescue system, from the CD or DVD, not from the HD.
    OK that's easy enough ie insert CD 1 and reboot...np.

    > Get to the bash command prompt there....
    HOW?? When the machine reboots I am presented with a lilo graphical menu
    enabling me to either Boot from HDD, Installation, Installation with
    ACPI disabled, Install - Safe settings, Manual install, Rescue System,
    Memory Test. There is no option to go into a CLI mode???

    Choosing the Rescue System option the system starts asking me about my
    kb type. Right there and then I exited out of it as it looked too much
    like install, and asides you said to get into a CLI.

    > ....., and issue the fsck command plus
    > options there. Something like "fsck /dev/hdb1".
    OK understood, but getting to the CLI from CD 1 seems to be the problem
    ie is there some special Susian key combination needed to access it or
    something...like Ctrl-Alt-Del :)
    Asides from that then how am I going to be able to issue a fsck command
    like -VAa which will step through the fstab file if the fsck doesn't
    know where to find it?

    > Now my second idea, your fstab, which I saw on another post. There you
    > have entries for hdb and hdc - but you mention that hdc was later removed.
    > If there are entries for hdc (hdc1, for example, a windows mount), but no
    > hdc disk on the system, it will not boot! And it will precisely tell you
    > to fsck manually.
    surprise, surprise, the system still boots OK, into linux thankfully.
    hdc contained Win95 and was moved for testing purposes. It will never be
    reinstalled into the linux machine. I was wondering about commenting out
    those entries of hdc or even deleting them.

    > So, you have to manually mount that disk from inside the rescue CD, edit
    > the fstab (with vi, I don't think there is anything else there), and
    > comment out those lines.
    KWrite will do it too thankfully when logged into another X session.

    >>>Well...
    >>>
    >>>The man pages of e2fsck and resiserfsck are printed at the end of the SuSE
    >>>admin book just for these ocassions.
    so I see....but there aren't half the options listed there that are
    listed on the fsck man page. I'll resort to my own written notes about this.

    > I wrote my notes about this on a handbook, but they are on another city
    > right now. O:-)
    UPS delivers worldwide I hear :)

    A little informed but still desperate to fsck (defrag?) the system. I am
    trying to leave the machine on as much as possible here and so far
    haven't been hit by a power outage....yet. When it does hit I am going
    to need to know howto use this fsck thing immediately.

    So the questions remain:
    1. How to get to the CLI from the rescue option when booting off the CD?
    2. How can I get fsck to walk through my fstab file if the / partition
    isn't mounted?
    3. What fsck -option would be the best to check and repair the fs's and
    also give me verbose output and a progress bar

    Hylton

    --
    The fscking desperate Little Helper