Re: [SLE] smtp auth on SuSE 8.1 Does it Work??

From: user86 (user86_at_earthlink.net)
Date: 03/01/04

    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com
    Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 18:50:29 -0500

    On Sunday 29 February 2004 17:42, John Andersen wrote:
    > On Sunday 29 February 2004 01:23, user86 wrote:
    > > On Sunday 29 February 2004 01:25, John Andersen wrote:
    > > > I've been banging my head against the wall for two days on SuSE 8.1 and
    > > > another server running SuSE 8.2 trying to get Smtp Auth to work with
    > > > sasl.
    > > >
    > > > The servers all report that they support cram-md5 and Digest-md5 but
    > > > authentication always fails.
    > > >
    > > > Has anyone gotten this to work?
    > > >
    > > > The Docs leave a great deal unsaid about what the actual
    > > > values you would enter in something like Kmail or Pegasus.
    > > >
    > > > With more road warriers out there this is becomming essential
    > > > and I wish SuSE would automate the procedure a bit...
    > >
    > > I had problems even getting the plain text SMTP auth stuff to work on a
    > > little test server I had in SuSE 9 for a while until I later realized
    > > that smtp auth failed to work only when postfix was set to be chrooted in
    > > /etc/sysconfig/ postfix. If you tell it to not be chrooted (then run
    > > SuSEconfig --module postfix to let it reconfigure postfix after that
    > > change and then restart postfix), smtp auth works fine (at least in SuSE
    > > 9).
    >
    > Thanks for the info. I'll check that out, although I am running sendmail
    > on these servers as they are 8.x boxes.

    Ah. I thought you ran what SuSE installed by default in SuSE 8.1 which is
    postfix.

    > I did discover that I've been testing with kmail, and it will not
    > recognize that the server supports any auth unless the auth mechs are
    > in upper case. Yet the /etc/sysconfig/sendmail file lists them in lower
    > case.

    I haven't really tested any other forms of smtp auth with postfix other than
    just "login" (the one supported out of the box in a "minimal" install of suse
    9) and that done over TLS or SSL on my LAN.

    > What do you have in your /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd file
    > and your /usr/lib/sasl2/Sendmail file?

    In my /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd I have:
    SASLAUTHD_AUTHMECH=pam

    I don't have the second file, most likely because I don't have sendmail
    installed.

    > Did you find it necessary to use starttls as well?

    If you are using any of the clear text smtp auth options, I would definitely
    recommend encrypting the connection that the password is transferred over
    with TLS, but I got the "login" smtp auth option to work regardless of
    whether TLS was enabled or not in postfix.

    • qmail - SMTP AUTH
      ... get SMTP AUTH and TLS to work. ... The patches available on the internet don't patch cleanly to the debian ... And will the qmail TLS patch at ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Client Authentication
      ... One idea is to run a different server process on 25 which does not do SMTP ... AUTH,, then run SMTP AUTH on 465 or 587. ... 465 is STMPS and should be configured as 25 but with SSL, this is really only useful if you have a certificate issued by a trusted CA as other servers will otherwise reject your certificate as untrusted. ... Port 587 is for message submission, see RFC 2476, you can configure it with TLS and it should only advertise STARTTLS. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: cant send through comcast
      ... When SBC started pushing us to migrate to their Yahoo! ... port 25 outbound to foreign servers. ... I think that more ISPs will be moving to SMTP AUTH because it affords better ...
    • Re: Best practice: sendmail and SMTP auth
      ... since all my servers are FreeBSD 6.x/7.x, ... I am considering setting up SMTP auth on a number of sendmail ... You will want to probably use cyrus-sasl or cyrus-sasl2 ports along with sendmail. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: qmail - SMTP AUTH
      ... > get SMTP AUTH and TLS to work. ... I don't know how to make it work with the Debian package, ... download the vanilla qmail sources from ...
      (Debian-User)