Re: [SLE] smtp auth on SuSE 8.1 Does it Work??

From: user86 (user86_at_earthlink.net)
Date: 03/01/04

    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com
    Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 18:50:29 -0500

    On Sunday 29 February 2004 17:42, John Andersen wrote:
    > On Sunday 29 February 2004 01:23, user86 wrote:
    > > On Sunday 29 February 2004 01:25, John Andersen wrote:
    > > > I've been banging my head against the wall for two days on SuSE 8.1 and
    > > > another server running SuSE 8.2 trying to get Smtp Auth to work with
    > > > sasl.
    > > >
    > > > The servers all report that they support cram-md5 and Digest-md5 but
    > > > authentication always fails.
    > > >
    > > > Has anyone gotten this to work?
    > > >
    > > > The Docs leave a great deal unsaid about what the actual
    > > > values you would enter in something like Kmail or Pegasus.
    > > >
    > > > With more road warriers out there this is becomming essential
    > > > and I wish SuSE would automate the procedure a bit...
    > >
    > > I had problems even getting the plain text SMTP auth stuff to work on a
    > > little test server I had in SuSE 9 for a while until I later realized
    > > that smtp auth failed to work only when postfix was set to be chrooted in
    > > /etc/sysconfig/ postfix. If you tell it to not be chrooted (then run
    > > SuSEconfig --module postfix to let it reconfigure postfix after that
    > > change and then restart postfix), smtp auth works fine (at least in SuSE
    > > 9).
    >
    > Thanks for the info. I'll check that out, although I am running sendmail
    > on these servers as they are 8.x boxes.

    Ah. I thought you ran what SuSE installed by default in SuSE 8.1 which is
    postfix.

    > I did discover that I've been testing with kmail, and it will not
    > recognize that the server supports any auth unless the auth mechs are
    > in upper case. Yet the /etc/sysconfig/sendmail file lists them in lower
    > case.

    I haven't really tested any other forms of smtp auth with postfix other than
    just "login" (the one supported out of the box in a "minimal" install of suse
    9) and that done over TLS or SSL on my LAN.

    > What do you have in your /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd file
    > and your /usr/lib/sasl2/Sendmail file?

    In my /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd I have:
    SASLAUTHD_AUTHMECH=pam

    I don't have the second file, most likely because I don't have sendmail
    installed.

    > Did you find it necessary to use starttls as well?

    If you are using any of the clear text smtp auth options, I would definitely
    recommend encrypting the connection that the password is transferred over
    with TLS, but I got the "login" smtp auth option to work regardless of
    whether TLS was enabled or not in postfix.