[SLE] Re: [nylug-talk] Digital Camera issues with SUSE 9.0

From: Ruben I Safir (ruben_at_mrbrklyn.com)
Date: 03/16/04

    Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 20:28:22 -0500
    To: NYLUG discussion list <nylug-talk@nylug.org>

    Look for /media/sd*

    Ruben

    On 2004.03.15 13:20 M. Halegua wrote:
    > I've been trying to connect my Argus DC3200 camera through USB to my Thinkpad
    > 600X with SUSE 9.0 Pro.
    >
    > While it does see it (I can tell from the system info in YAST) I keep getting
    > the following errors:
    >
    > In KDE - Error KDE
    > Could Not Mount Device
    > The Reported error was:
    > mount: no medium found
    >
    > When trying to mount as root from CLI
    > mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
    >
    > The mount command I used was:
    > mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /media/camera
    >
    > Where /media/camera is a directory I created for the mount point.
    >
    > The interesting thing is if I boot from the Knoppix 3.3 (NY version) CD, it
    > sees and mounts the camera no problem. I can access it as if was a mounted
    > SCSI device, /dev/sda1. The mount point under Knoppix is /mnt/sda1.
    >
    > I added the line in the Knoppix fstab file to the SUSE fstab file, changing
    > only the uid and gid names and group to conform to my SUSE setup. When I try
    > to mount, it takes a lot of time before coming back with an error.
    >
    > I used lsmod | grep usb to check for, under both SUSE and Knoppix, the loaded
    > modules, and SUSE returns:
    >
    > usb-storage 65312 0
    > usbserial 19580 0 (autoclean) (unused)
    > usb-uhci 22224 0 (unused)
    > usbcore 58668 1 [usb-storage usbserial usb-uhci]
    >
    > Knoppix returns:
    >
    > usb-storage 61280 0
    > usb-uhci 21868 0 (unused)
    > usbcore 57824 1 [usb-storage usb-uhci]
    >
    > Under SUSE YAST system info, the SCSI and USB areas show different things, but
    > they do see the camera. Under the SCSI area, it sees a vivicam 35Xx, shows
    > it as /dev/sda, and the class is a mass storage device.
    >
    > Under the USB area, it sees a Sierra Imaging Storage Device, the class is a
    > mass storage device.
    >
    > They both ID different vendor identifiers, unique keys, and old_unique_key.
    >
    > So, anyone have any ideas here? I'd hate to have to always load Knoppix just
    > to transfer some photos from the camera.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mark

    __________________________
    Brooklyn Linux Solutions
    proportions in the mind of the world  - RI Safir 1998
    http://fairuse.nylxs.com
    http://www.mrbrklyn.com - Consulting
    http://www.inns.net <-- Happy Clients
    http://www2.mrbrklyn.com/resources - Unpublished Archive or stories and articles from around the net
    1-718-382-0585

    • [SLE] journalist need some help
      ... Under SuSE 9.0, my Flash disk is mounted something ... my USB Mass Storage digital camera usually is mounted ...
      (SuSE)
    • [SLE] Recognition of USB Devices
      ... camera via a USB port. ... technique of rebooting the system with the camera connected to the USB ... Now SuSE recognizes the camera and allows me to mount it. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Fairwell to Windows...nearly!
      ... > Nvidia2 chipset pc and just have one more niggling problem to solve then ... > My usb HP scanjet 4100C scanner and digital camera connected via usb are ... > I have just used Suse online update for all the patch updates but still no ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • [SLE] Digital Camera issues with SUSE 9.0
      ... I've been trying to connect my Argus DC3200 camera through USB to my Thinkpad ... 600X with SUSE 9.0 Pro. ... The mount point under Knoppix is /mnt/sda1. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Knoppix 4.0.2 und USB-Platte
      ... die unter Windows und auch unter SuSE 9.3 einwandfrei und ... mit einer Knoppix 4.0.2 absolut grottenlahm wird. ... USB 1.1-Geschwindigkeit erreicht, ...
      (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)