[SLE] Cron Jobs

From: Donald Henson (wepin_at_wepin.com)
Date: 03/18/04

    To: SuSE Linux E <suse-linux-e@suse.com>
    Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 20:26:10 -0700

    Before you blow me off, let me say that I've been using Linux for about
    six months and this is the first time I've had occasion to set up a cron
    job. And before you tell me to RTFM, I've already done that as well as
    several exchanges on mailing lists and a couple of online tutorials. I'm
    here to tell you that I'm confused. You may need to know that I'm
    running SuSE Linux 9.0, since SuSE appears to handle cron jobs
    differently than everyone else.

    All I want to do is run a simple backup job every morning (early). I'm
    pretty sure that I can set up the crontab entry to do that. What I don't
    know is where to put it. I've looked at /etc/cron, /etc/cron.daily
    (contains a number of scripts), etc. Is there an existing script that I
    modify or do I create one from scratch? I'd really appreciate any
    assistance here.

    Don Henson

    • Re: [SLE] Cron Jobs
      ... > Before you blow me off, let me say that I've been using Linux for about ... > running SuSE Linux 9.0, since SuSE appears to handle cron jobs ... > (contains a number of scripts), ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Will Linux become as vulnerable as MS ??
      ... >> Linux, each distro is a little different, and even within the distro, ... > Then anyone with a basic understanding of shell scripts could write one ... >> Apache, and despite having several rather nasty holes in Apache, or it's ... >> the vile record that IIS holds in spreading malware. ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: An end to tweaking?
      ... > tap dance with ansi.sys commands and debug scripts. ... > One thing I don't like about Linux is the Unix command names. ... > DOS command names were easier to memorize. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: Sound files on bootup; IMessenger for SuSE
      ... one the more frustrating aspects of learning Linux is finding the ... Another method is to use 'apropos' with a word or term for which you'd ... the startup scripts are in: ... with the different runlevels having links to the scripts to run on ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: sco-list: Re: SCO drop loyal resellers...
      ... I haven't had a lot of stability problems with Linux since we started ... Caldera had its ... we've always done extensive security analysis and hardening on ... breaking lots of shell scripts). ...
      (comp.unix.sco.misc)