[SLE] Installing SuSE beside Windows on old hardware

From: Clayton (suselist_at_smaug42.com)
Date: 03/27/04

    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com
    Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 17:58:29 +0100

    OK, A friend of mine is thinking about installing Linux (he's got SuSE
    8.2) on his computer. He's got a P2/400 (256MB, 42GB HD, 8MB Video).
    The BIOS is old and cannot support Windows and the 40GB HD without
    the drive overlay software he's got installed.

    I know SuSE8.2 will install fine and doesn't need the drive overlay
    sftware... but, the question I can't answer for him is, what happens
    with the drive overlay software and Windows? If my friend installs
    Linux, and the installer overwrites the MBR, will he loose the
    overlay software? As far as I know, the overlay software MUST be
    available on startup to allow windows to load, but will the SuSE
    install leave it alone, replace it, or do something else with it? Any
    idea?