[SLE] Installing SuSE beside Windows on old hardware

From: Clayton (suselist_at_smaug42.com)
Date: 03/27/04

    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com
    Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 17:58:29 +0100

    OK, A friend of mine is thinking about installing Linux (he's got SuSE
    8.2) on his computer. He's got a P2/400 (256MB, 42GB HD, 8MB Video).
    The BIOS is old and cannot support Windows and the 40GB HD without
    the drive overlay software he's got installed.

    I know SuSE8.2 will install fine and doesn't need the drive overlay
    sftware... but, the question I can't answer for him is, what happens
    with the drive overlay software and Windows? If my friend installs
    Linux, and the installer overwrites the MBR, will he loose the
    overlay software? As far as I know, the overlay software MUST be
    available on startup to allow windows to load, but will the SuSE
    install leave it alone, replace it, or do something else with it? Any
    idea?

    • Re: Is SuSe ready for me yet?
      ... They astounded me with their ease of install and use. ... If you install the suse 'evaluation' version of 10.0 or be sure to ... A year in linux time is equivalent to many years of windows time. ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: Is SuSe ready for me yet?
      ... They astounded me with their ease of install and use. ... If you install the suse 'evaluation' version of 10.0 or be sure to ... A year in linux time is equivalent to many years of windows time. ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: MBR changes with 9.1/GRUB
      ... >> Windows help forums. ... >> installing Suse). ... This should restore the master boot ... Alternatively if you have a W2K install disk start the install process ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: Bad Motherboard? Upgrade?
      ... If the install process has problems, ... I've been running SuSE 9.2 for the last few months, ... > 2000 installs and runs as well as Windows can on any machine. ... I think it's probably the motherboard. ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)
    • Re: [SLE] Probably stupid question - how to judge veracity of these posts?
      ... Stephen, i also was a windows user, using Win95, Win98, then ... using SuSE 9 Professional and RedHat 9 and i ... My advice is to buy SuSE Linux Professional 9 and you can ... >> somebody telling the user to download and install the Java Runtime ...
      (SuSE)