Re: [SLE] Laptop choice - REPORT

From: James Knott (james.knott_at_rogers.com)
Date: 06/05/04

    Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 17:46:10 -0400
    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com

    So, you now know which is the best notebook, for running Linux. ;-)

    Johan Sch wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Here are some snippets from various mail lists that I asked for a laptop choice. I had good responses. Trust this may be of help to some..
    >
    > ******
    > I'm dual-booting win XP and various Linux distros using FAT32, getting online and burning CDs on a Dell Inspiron 8500 and am very happy with it.
    > ******
    > My DELL Latitude C840 installed Mdk10 without any problems. Runs great.
    > ******
    > Yes, I have a T41 that works great with 10.0.
    > ******
    > If I was realistic I would use a Dell Inspiron 9100.. I have always bought dell laptops and never had any problems with running *nix on them. If I was dreaming then
    > http://www.go-l.com/laptops/hollywood_gold/features/index.htm
    > Would win hands down ;-)
    > ******
    > I would also go for the Dell option. VERY linux friendly.
    > ******
    > I love my IBM Thinkpad X31. It does very well with SuSE 9.1 on it.
    > ******
    > I got my laptop from http://www.powernotebooks.com/ and have been
    > pleased with it. I'm running SuSE 9.0 Professional.
    > ******
    > These websites should give you a better approach:
    > http://www.tuxmobil.org
    > http://www.linux-laptop.net/
    > ******
    > Have a look on www.linux-on-laptops.com
    > ******
    > My elcheapo Dell 1100 works fine on 10.0.
    > ******
    > I have a Compaq Presario that works like a champ with ML10.
    > ******
    > As everyone knows, all decent laptops are made by Tadpole...
    > http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/html/ (No alphabook anymore though :-( )
    > ******
    > Here are some sites that might help:
    > http://www.linux-laptop.net/
    > http://tuxmobil.org/
    > ******
    > I love the IBM T41 to death. I'm so happy with it that I'd buy another
    > 10 if I had the money. You can see more info at
    > http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=2072693&storeId=1&catalogId=-840&langId=-1
    > ******
    > Of course you can avoid the whole ACPI mess if you can find a laptop with a working Linux APM implementation. The Toshiba laptops are always a good start (just make sure your laptop works with the toshiba utilities).
    > Some of my Toshiba links:
    > http://linux.toshiba-dme.co.jp/linux/eng/installinfo.htm
    > http://newsletter.toshiba-tro.de/main/index.html
    > http://www.buzzard.org.uk/toshiba/
    > http://www.linux-laptop.net/
    > I'd say the two most important things to watch out for on a laptop:
    > (a) Power Management
    > Check ACPI or APM support, Suspend to disk, support for the fans /
    > battery monitoring. Check whether the motherboard chipset has I2C and/or
> [...]

    • [SLE] Laptop choice - REPORT
      ... Here are some snippets from various mail lists that I asked for a laptop choice. ... I'm dual-booting win XP and various Linux distros using FAT32, getting online and burning CDs on a Dell Inspiron 8500 and am very happy with it. ... Display Card ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: FC3 --> ubuntu --> FC4
      ... On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 09:08, Matthew Miller wrote: ... >> Doesn't seem like I'm asking that much out of linux. ... If I open the laptop and walk away with it I want ... display at a different resolution. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: FC3 --> ubuntu --> FC4
      ... > Doesn't seem like I'm asking that much out of linux. ... > able to use my internal laptop display at 1280x800 and use my external ... so I can close my laptop when I'm at my desk ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Whats the difference between xclock and clock & ?
      ... You aren't executing xclock locally. ... xclock runs on the remove laptop and attempts to use the X server ... running on your local machine to display itself. ... (either I'm not using Linux, I'm on a Linux machine locally, or I'm ...
      (comp.unix.programmer)
    • Re: turning off antialiasing in xorg
      ... I just want my laptop to display in it's native 1280x800 when ... using Linux. ... I turn off AA fonts in XP too 'cause it's not really ...
      (alt.os.linux)