Re: [SLE] USB sticks: previous messages and my recognition problem

From: David Bottrill (david_at_bottrill.org)
Date: 06/23/04

    Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:18:35 +0100 (BST)
    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com

    Luis Angel Fernández Cuadrado said:
    > El Miércoles, 23 de Junio de 2004 13:04, Luca Mollica escribió:
    >> > In a shell (root):
    >> > Try lsub (as root) and it should show something about your stick.
    >>
    >> The stick is recognised as USB SONY memory stick
    >>
    >> > So your Stick is recognized.
    >>
    >> Yes, it is.
    >>
    >> > Then try (as root) mount /dev/sda1 /mnt.
    >>
    >> No way!
    >> The kernel message is the same about missing medium in the drive.
    >> Do I have to check something more about SCSI ?
    >> The usb-storage module is loaded.
    >
    > Is support for the vfat filisystem loaded? (Otherwise, try 'modprobe
    > vfat')
    >
    > You can also try 'mount -t vfat /dev/sdax /mnt' where x = 4 (sometimes) or
    > even '/dev/sda' alone. My Sony Memory Sticks have behaved in strange ways
    > since SuSE 7.2.
    >
    > Hope it helps.
    >

    >> LM
    >>
    >> > Change to /mnt and you should see something.
    >> >
    >> > If this doesn't work, feel free to ask again :-)
    >> >
    >> > Al

    When I first bought a Sony Memory stick I had problems mounting it in
    Linux, this was due to corruption of the partition table that windows
    seemed to ignore but Linux didn't like. I simply used fdisk in linux to
    create a new DOS partition table on the stick and after that all was well
    both on Linux and windows.

    --
    David Bottrill
    david@bottrill.org