Re: [SLE] 9.1 is sloooooowwww

From: Bruce Marshall (bmarsh_at_bmarsh.com)
Date: 06/26/04

    To: SLE <suse-linux-e@suse.com>
    Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 15:09:55 -0400

    On Saturday 26 June 2004 02:20 pm, BandiPat wrote:
    > On Friday 25 June 2004 11:40 pm, Fred Miller wrote:
    > > On Friday June 25 2004 9:42 am, BandiPat wrote:
    > >
    > > [snip]
    > >
    > > > Sure, you could probably do that now Thom, if you want to preload
    > > > everything into memory, like Windows does.  But then those poor
    > > > blokes with only 128mb or even 256mb of ram are sure going to be
    > > > doing a bit of swapping, huh?  ;o)
    > > >
    > > > If 3-4 seconds out of your day proves to be life threatening, then
    > > > maybe using a computer is something you shouldn't do.  By the time
    > > > you move the mouse pointer to start another app, the shell window
    > > > is open!  Of course, there is always Opteron & SCSI drives!  :o)
    > >
    > > You missed the point entirely! 9.1 IS slower than prior releases, and
    > > it of course shouldn't be. I have a fresh install on my dual PIII
    > > 600Mhz IBM Intelistation (SCSI) with 1G of RAM. It's SLOW.
    > >
    > > Fred

    I've spent the day putting 9.1 on a Thinkpad X30 and I too noticed how slow
    things were. Could find anything that was slurping cycles, nor any other
    problem.

    I noticed, though, that I was getting an error when I did a 'sux'. Some
    message about hostname (which I had already set up) . Didn't pay any
    attention to it because sux still worked and I had a lot of other things to
    do first.

    But that gave me a clue... and something to try as a test would be:

    rcnetwork stop

    Things immediately sped up... and I wasn't even connected to my LAN at the
    time. Must have been spending a lot of time doing a DNS lookup or such.

    Later I realized I hadn't added my hostname to the /etc/hosts file so I did
    that and now everything is still flying even with the network up.

    Try shutting the network down first to see if it helps... if so, then go find
    what it's looking for.

    • Re: Mac Hostname on Network
      ... hostnames to the names of random Windows PCs on the network. ... up how to change the hostname in Terminal, ... As soon as I plugged them in, they changed to random Windows PC ... way it works is that iVGA sends the Mac's hostname to VT, ...
      (comp.sys.mac.system)
    • Re: Mac Hostname on Network
      ... hostnames to the names of random Windows PCs on the network. ... As soon as I plugged them in, they changed to random Windows PC ... way it works is that iVGA sends the Mac's hostname to VT, ...
      (comp.sys.mac.system)
    • Re: Mac Hostname on Network
      ... hostnames to the names of random Windows PCs on the network. ... it looks for a DHCP server, specifying its own name as the DHCP Client ... Along comes your Mac and asks the DHCP server for an IP address. ... name assigned by the network as its hostname. ...
      (comp.sys.mac.system)
    • Re: Mac Hostname on Network
      ... hostnames to the names of random Windows PCs on the network. ... up how to change the hostname in Terminal, ... As soon as I plugged them in, they changed to random Windows PC ...
      (comp.sys.mac.system)
    • Re: localhost hostname problem
      ... > to force a unique hostname whenever they find a machine without one ... The key thing here is that each network connection has a name ... This line names the special case, local loopback interface. ... connections will be made to 127.0.0.1 so this must exist and be ...
      (Fedora)