[SLE] SuSE 9.1 and samba?

From: Fulvio PentiuX (zorrykid_at_email.it)
Date: 07/06/04

    Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 19:14:46 +0200
    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com

    Hi everyone,

    I have so many problems with samba on one PC with SuSE 9.1 on.

    This PC is on a local area network with another PC with SuSE 9.0 on it
    with a working samba connection, and some windows clients.
    My 9.1 PC has an ASUS P4S800 motherboard and I use the integrated
    Asustek sis900 ethernet lan configured as eth0 with the sis900 module.
    Static IP and static gateway (the SuSE 9.0 machine).
    I'm able to surf the net without any problem, with my eth0. I ping-ed so
    many clients on the same networks for hours... no problems.
    I surfed internet (via eth0 and SuSE 9.0 as gateway) for long time, no
    problems.
    But when I start a samba connection involving the SuSE 9.1 PC, from the
    9.1 machine or from the 9.0 machine or from some win machine as well, it
    works but just after some while I have all my network dropped down... I
    can't surf, I can't ping anything. Just dead!
    All my network is down, and I'm not able to see the net anymore, not
    only the samba connections!

    I really need some help, or something to try, 'cos I'm completely out of
    resources.
    Thank you very much in advance!

    Fulvio

    Some configuration files:

    in /var/log/messages I have only:
    server kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: trasmit timed out
    server kernel: eth0: Trasmit timeout, status 00000000 00000260

    in /var/log/samba/log.nmbd I have:
    [2004/07/06 11:50:14, 0] nmbd/nmbd.c:terminate(54)
    Got SIGTERM: going down...
    [2004/07/06 11:51:18, 0] nmbd/nmbd.c:main(664)
    Netbios nameserver version 3.0.2a-SUSE started

    in /var/log/samba/log.smbd I can see only:
    [2004/07/06 11:51:29, 0] smbd/server.c:main(748)
    smbd version 3.0.2a-SUSE started

    in /etc/samba:
    lmhosts smbfstab smbpasswd smbusers are quite identical to ones in the
    SuSE 9.0 machine (empty at all)

    smb.conf should be very close to the SuSE 9.0 one, and there is:
    # smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full commented
    # version at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SuSE
    # Date: 2004-04-06
    [global]
    workgroup = Ragnatela
    os level = 2
    # interfaces = 127.0.0.1 eth0
    # bind interfaces only = true
    printing = cups
    printcap name = cups
    printer admin = @ntadmin, root, administrator
    map to guest = Bad User
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    server string = Server
    add machine script =
    domain master = false
    domain logons = no
    local master = no
    preferred master = auto
    ldap suffix = dc=example,dc=com
    passdb backend = smbpasswd
    time server = Yes
    unix extensions = Yes
    wins support = No
    socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    valid users = %S
    browseable = no
    read only = No
    guest ok = no
    printable = no
    [printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/tmp
    printable = yes
    create mask = 0600
    browseable = no
    guest ok = no
    [print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
    write list = @ntadmin root
    force group = ntadmin
    create mask = 0664
    directory mask = 0775
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = no
    printable = no
    [rete]
    path = /home/server/Rete
    comment = /home/server/Rete
    writeable = yes
    create mask = 0640
    force user = server
    public = yes
    guest ok = yes
    wide links = no
    browseable = yes
    printable = no

    I tried to nmap from the SuSE 9.0 machine, ad I've got this:

    Starting nmap 3.30 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2004-07-06 17:58
    CEST
    Interesting ports on 192.168.0.101:
    (The 1183 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: filtered)
    Port State Service (RPC) Owner
    22/tcp open ssh
    23/tcp closed telnet
    25/tcp closed smtp
    80/tcp closed http
    110/tcp closed pop-3
    113/tcp closed auth
    137/tcp closed netbios-ns
    138/tcp closed netbios-dgm
    139/tcp open netbios-ssn
    143/tcp closed imap2
    443/tcp closed https
    873/tcp closed rsync
    993/tcp closed imaps
    995/tcp closed pop3s

    Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 57.392 seconds
    (but I tried to open the 137 and the 138 ports too, via YaST)

    I just can say more that the shared samba disk space is on a software
    RAID 1 partition, but without any problem used locally...

    Thanks again!!!

    • Re: Help with introducing Linux to the classroom.
      ... > I'm a school IT network administrator in a totally windows ... I have some light experience with SUSE so will probably go ... > network share instead of their local home drive. ... > the Network Server software, but I see that SUSE also sells 'SUSE Standard ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: Filesharing between Windows and SuSE Linux
      ... router) and a desktop with a printer connected to thesame network. ... would like to install SuSE Linux on the desktop. ... How "easy" is it to access files on the Linux PC from the windows PC, ... Make sure you've installed Samba server/client with YaST. ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: suse 9.1 and samba problems (protocol died etc)
      ... >In trying to get samba up and accessible through Konquer I'm running ... When I installed Suse 9.0 on my machine before Samba just ... Then I did an install of everything. ... I have a simple home network with no ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: Home Network with Suse 9.3!
      ... My main one is running Suse 9.3. ... > by step guide to set up such a network, ... I use samba and suse as a novice. ... I think I found that the doze machines worked in this (windows) network ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: Connecting from Suse to windows workgroup on
      ... > pool of IPs) and I have just installed a Suse 9.3 Enterprise Server ... > From Suse pinging 127.0.0.1 works but no other machines on the Lan. ... problem with the network card or cabling... ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)