Re: [SLE] Backups

From: Michael W Cocke (cocke_at_catherders.com)
Date: 07/11/04

    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com
    Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:30:00 -0400

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 19:43:00 -0800, you wrote:

    >On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 3:08 AM, Mike Cocke wrote:
    >
    >-Unless it's recently been changed. Mondo has a maximum of 50 media
    >-unless you build it with some optional switches.
    >
    >-And you omitted DAR - the Disk ARchiver. http://dar.linux.free.fr/
    >-(I suggest looking at DARomizer with DAR - it allows building the
    >-archive and burning to cd/dvd in parallel. Disclaimer: I wrote
    >-DARromizer)
    >
    >-Mike-
    >
    >Mike:
    >
    > I don't remember DAR coming through before, but maybe I just missed
    >it. I have added it to my list along with the web address you provided for
    >it. By the way, since you were the author (or a co-author) of DAR, what I'm
    >for from a backup is software that would make the following scenario
    >possible.

    I am in no way author or co-author of DAR. I wrote an add-on named
    DARomizer. I wouldn't mind being able to claim some of the credit -
    it's a nice piece of work - but cannot.

    >1) I run the software to back up my Linux partition(s)
    >2) I upgrade my system (say from 8.1 to 8.2, my situation)
    >3) I discover that my system is completely hosed as a result of the upgrade
    >4) I run the software to recover my Linux parttions(s)
    >5) I start up linux and I'm back to my old 8.1 system with everything just
    >like it was before I started at step 1)
    >
    > Is this a reasonable scenario with DAR?

    Within limits, and depending on what you used for media, etc. For
    example, I had to do a bare metal restore from a DAR archive - here's
    the procedure I used.

    1) Install the desired version of linux from CD or DVD (you don't need
    to install all the packages, or worry overmuch about settings, because
    you'll be restoring in a few minutes, but letting the install program
    work out detected hardware and drivers is simpler than doing it
    yourself.
    2) Restore the DAR archive.

    Technically, I could have skipped step 1, using the recovery utilities
    from the distro disks, but in the event of a hardware fault (which was
    my problem), my procedure was actually faster and simpler.

    Hardware failure and recovery of an image onto different hardware is
    something every single image program that I looked at had problems
    with, ranging from the iffy to the complete failure. I'd recommend
    you make that a major point to test in your search.

    Ghost, Mondo, and Drive Image all had issues with that scenario. It
    really comes down to the hardware detection, driver updating, and
    plug&play support of ther OS itself. I wouldn't bet on any of the
    above under linux or windows at this point - especially if you're
    looking at potentially restoring to a different drive config
    (partition layout, geometry, etc.) than you had when you backed up.

    Mike-

    --
    If you're not confused, you're not trying hard enough.
    --

    • Subject: Re: Linux sucks?
      ... > the applications I run in my field do not run on Linux. ... I have cygwin on Windows ... so Windows users only hit this rarely at install. ... XP users hit this when they add hardware and the 'automatic ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Are you folks MAC or PC?
      ... > The question begged- is software the primary consideration or hardware. ... double layer source disk, and 5 install cds. ... Scientific Linux you download for free and has 4 or 5 install CDs. ... This scanner works in both windows and linux. ...
      (rec.photo.digital)
    • Re: Whats your Commodore history?
      ... bought a used Dual P3 Server and installed Linux. ... Windows on my home machine ever although I did build my son a windows xp ... Windows which typically requires you to install quite a few third party ... drivers afterwards to take full advantage of the available hardware. ...
      (comp.sys.cbm)
    • Re: Which way is the best choice to co-exist Windows and Linux ?
      ... One reason to install and use MS, is hardware that has only drivers for MS Windows. ... But for example there is no Linux support for my Canoscan 3000ex scanner, ...
      (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
    • Re: White Box /RHEL 3 on a Mac?
      ... Can't imagine why they would assign you the hardware ... without the OS unless they _want_ you to install Linux or one of the ... > Mac OS is mighty cool, with the BSD kernel and all of that. ...
      (Fedora)