[SLE] Remote X Sessions

From: John Coldrick (jc_at_axyzfx.com)
Date: 07/12/04

    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com
    Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:38:22 -0400

            I've done this without troubles on Redhat, using the basic following
    procedure:

            on host side, enter:

            xhost +client_sys_name

            on client side, enter:

            export DISPLAY="host_sys_name:0.0"

            then run the app. I've been unable to get this to run at all on SUSE 9.1
    with the latest kernel update(linux-2.6.5-7.95) as the host machine and a
    Redhat 7.3 machine as client. That same Redhat machine works fine with other
    Redhat machines. The results I get are typically:

    Error: Can't open display: host_sys_name:0.0

    I've run through the Yast security settings - the only thing that seems
    vaguely related is "Allow Graphical Login", although I doubt that's involved
    I ticked it and restarted X. Still no go. I'm not running a firewall, I
    unfortunately need to run an app as root but I can't even get xeyes to run as
    myself, so small steps first. I'm suspecting it's a security issue, as
    opposed to any sort of incompatibility.

            Any thoughts or suggestions? I need it to work this way(not looking for vnc
    solutions), and it should, shouldn't it?

            Cheers,

            J.C.

    Houdini/Renderman/Discreet                           425 Adelaide St W
    416-504-0425                                         Toronto, ON Canada
    jc@axyzfx.com                                        M5V 1S4

    • Re: [SLE] Remote X Sessions
      ... > Redhat 7.3 machine as client. ... That same Redhat machine works fine with other ... > I've run through the Yast security settings - the only thing that seems ... Use ssh X11 port forwarding whenever possible. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: VNC and GUI for Redhat linux
      ... I am trying to run the vncserver on a RedHat machine. ... My xstartup file is as ... When I start the client, I can only see a dark page without showing the GUI. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • VNC and GUI for Redhat linux
      ... I am trying to run the vncserver on a RedHat machine. ... My xstartup file is as ... When I start the client, I can only see a dark page without showing the GUI. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: [SLE] Remote X Sessions
      ... > Redhat 7.3 machine as client. ... That same Redhat machine works fine with other ... I'm not running a firewall, ... I'm suspecting it's a security issue, ...
      (SuSE)