Re: [SLE] xntpd time intervals changeable?

From: Jerry Feldman (gaf_at_blu.org)
Date: 08/08/04

    Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 08:48:03 -0400
    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com

    On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 22:33:41 +0200 (CEST)
    "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@tiscali.es> wrote:

    > The Saturday 2004-08-07 at 11:29 -0500, C Hamel wrote:
    >
    > > I don't need my clock updated every 7-8 minutes, and am wondering if
    > > there is a way to change that? I have been unable to find anything
    > > in the docs, & the man page is nothing.
    >
    > Somewhere in the documentation it explains how it works. At first, it
    > requests the time very often, and then, as the clock get synchronized,
    > the interval increases. I understand it is hardcoded.
    The polling is dynamic. If you want to set up a longer or a predictable
    interval, set up ntpdate(8) triggered by cron. Note that when you boot,
    ntpdate runs shortly after the network is fired up to set the initial
    time.

    --
    Jerry Feldman <gaf@blu.org>
    Boston Linux and Unix user group