Re: [SLE] YOU and YaST Software Installation AWOL

From: Leendert Meyer (leen.meyer_at_home.nl)
Date: 08/08/04

    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com
    Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 17:32:42 +0200

    On Sunday 08 August 2004 16:52, Randall R Schulz wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Suddenly I cannot get YaST's "Install and Remove Software" or YOU to run.
    > When I attempt to launch them via the YaST Control Center, the busy
    > (spinning clock) cursor appears briefly but the installer never does.
    > When I try to launch YOU via the SuSE Watcher tray icon, the root
    > password prompt appears but after I supply the password there's nothing.
    > The same thing happens with yast2 in text mode in a root shell window
    > except that the control center stops responding after selecting "Install
    > and Remove Software."

    yast by itself starts other modules, and probably blocks the output of those.
    Try to start the modules directly:

    In text mode do 'yast --list', and pick one of the modules you wish to run
    (probably sw_single to install/remove pkgs or online_update for YOU).

    IIR, you will get error messages this way.

    Cheers,

    Leen

    • Re: [opensuse] Post installation queries (FIRST successful installation of Linux)
      ... way to manage users on opensuse is with yast. ... You use the 'passwd' command to change the passwords from the command line. ... By default, if you su to root, you can change/reset any user password simply ... the installer do that to me, so others will need to chime in on how to fix ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: acroread 7.0.0 conflict (suse 9.2) online update!
      ... from within YaST you don't really look at the contents of the ... >> lot easier to explore different mirrors, ... way that while installing software you navigate inside ... the installer to the location you've selected and the installer ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • ezmlm warning
      ... If this message bounces too, I will send you a probe. ... Sporadic Problem Launching YaST ... But every few weeks, YaST refuses to launch. ... > launch YaST is to log out of KDE and then log back in. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: VoIP apps for 10.3?
      ... rpm and got some nonsensical message through Yast that there was nothing ... Could be that the download did not work. ... directly with installer. ... have been that YaST would not have installed it. ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: [opensuse] Windows Vista would not start after installation of openSUSE 11.0
      ... SUSE bootblock on /dev/sda ... installer created "Windows 1" entry but ... The problem is one of scripts that is used by YaST, ...
      (SuSE)