[SLE] help!! kde login fails after changing login manager in KControl

From: Christopher Townson (christopher.townson_at_ntlworld.com)
Date: 08/19/04

    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com
    Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:15:13 +0100

    Hi -
    I seem to be having a bit of a problem with X in KDE3.2 - I know absolutely
    nothing about X, so if anyone can help I would really appreciate it. The
    problem is as follows:

    - I did a clean install and update of SuSE 9.1 with no problems, everything
    goes beautifully until...
    - I attempt to change the login settings via KControl -> Login Manager.

    Once I change the login settings, when I first logout I get a black screen
    with just the "X" cursor (i.e. no login screen) and I cannot move to any
    other tty - I therefore have to force a restart by pressing the reset button
    on my PC.

    When the computer reboots, it shows the KDE login screen and I login, but KDE
    fails to start and it goes straight to an X console instead -- from there I
    can start KDE by typing "kde", but I get a mess of error messages when I do.

    This is the output on starting kde from the console after login:

    xset: bad font path element (#64), possible causes are:
        Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
        Directory missing fonts.dir
        Incorrect font server address or syntax
    xset: bad font path element (#64), possible causes are:
        Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
        Directory missing fonts.dir
        Incorrect font server address or syntax
    xset: bad font path element (#64), possible causes are:
        Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
        Directory missing fonts.dir
        Incorrect font server address or syntax
    xset: bad font path element (#64), possible causes are:
        Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
        Directory missing fonts.dir
        Incorrect font server address or syntax
    ksplash: WARNING: KGenericFactory: instance requested but no instance name
    passed to the constructor!
    kbuildsycoca running...
    ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:494:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed: Broken
    pipe
    ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:494:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed: Broken
    pipe
    ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:494:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed: Broken
    pipe
    MNG error 1029: Chunk out of sequence; chunk TERM; subcode 0:0
    MNG error 1029: Chunk out of sequence; chunk TERM; subcode 0:0
    MNG error 1029: Chunk out of sequence; chunk TERM; subcode 0:0
    MNG error 1029: Chunk out of sequence; chunk TERM; subcode 0:0
    MNG error 1029: Chunk out of sequence; chunk TERM; subcode 0:0
    MNG error 1029: Chunk out of sequence; chunk TERM; subcode 0:0
    MNG error 1029: Chunk out of sequence; chunk TERM; subcode 0:0
    kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7:
    undefined symbol: PKCS7_content_free
    kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7:
    undefined symbol: OpenSSL_add_all_algorithms
    kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7:
    undefined symbol: OpenSSL_add_all_algorithms_conf
    kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7:
    undefined symbol: OpenSSL_add_all_algorithms_noconf
[...]
    QGArray::find: Index 0 out of range
    MNG error 1029: Chunk out of sequence; chunk TERM; subcode 0:0
    MNG error 1029: Chunk out of sequence; chunk TERM; subcode 0:0
    MNG error 1029: Chunk out of sequence; chunk TERM; subcode 0:0
    MNG error 1029: Chunk out of sequence; chunk TERM; subcode 0:0

    So far I have attempted the following to fix the problem:
    a) create a new user to see if the problem recreates itself in their settings
    (yes, it does)
    b) remove .X* and .x* files from ~/ to backup directory - no success
    c) check existence and permissions of ~/.fonts, fonts.dir etc... -- they
    appear to be ok
    d) reinstall X (getting desperate here!!) -- no luck there, either
    e) force reconfiguration of fonts as root with "font-config --force" -- did
    not work.

    If anyone can shed any light on why I can no longer log into KDE directly, I
    would be extremely grateful! I googled the problem, and it seems that quite a
    few people have experiences something similar when they have attempted to
    alter their login settings via kcontrol's login manager -- however, I
    couldn't find any satisfactory solutions.

    Thanks in advance,

    Chris