RE: [SLE] Need help recovering my Linux System

From: Greg Wallace (jgregw_at_acsalaska.net)
Date: 08/19/04

    To: "'Louis Richards'" <louis@ldrinteractive.com>
    Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 08:10:54 -0800

    Louis Richards wrote:

    >Greg Wallace wrote:

    >>I was attempting to tweak a typical Windows/Linux setup and completely
    >>trashed the disk. In retrospect, it was a pretty poor setup to begin
    >>with.
    >>I already have a Windows machine (from which I'm writing this note), so
    >>why
    >>would I want Windows on my other machine? Simply because I was so new and
    >>green when I first set it up that I didn't know any better.
    >>
    >>Here's what I had -
    >>
    >>Windows - 40 GB
    >>Swap - 1 GB
    >>Linux - 39 GB
    >>
    >>Here's what I have now -
    >>
    >>Swap - 3 GB
    >>Linux - 40 GB
    >>Free for the future - 37 GB
    >>
    >>Now to my dilemma. I had to install a bare minimum system to get the
    >>above
    >>set up. Now I want to recover my original system which has a fully
    >>functional Oracle Enterprise 9.2.0.5.0 on it (yes, I'd sort of like to
    >>have
    >>that all back). I have the full backup of my old system on a usb disk
    >>drive. I have never worked with setting up a usb connection on Linux.
    >>This device currently is fully formatted in NTFS. My plan is to re-format
    >>it and
    >>give half of the space to Windows (NTFS) and the other half to Linux
    >>(FAT3).
    >>I can then put my full backup on that device and plug it into my Linux
    >>machine. I would think this would be a good way to get the data back into
    >>my new Linux system. The restore I did contained everything. Hard disk
    >>system areas, all mounted devices at that time, etc. In other words, I
    >>backed up MY ENTIRE SYSTEM. If I get that USB device on-line, would I be
    >>good to go to do a full Linux restore?
    >>
    >>Thanks and yours truly,
    >Greg Wallace
    >>

    >Unfortunately, it will probably not be as easy as copying files over and
    >rebooting. For starters, you have changed the drive layout and will most
    >likely not be able to use the backed up fstab. If partitions have change
    >you may also need to keep your current grub config.

    >You say you have a full backup on a USB disk. You als>o say the disk is
    >NTFS. I'm going to assume you were not writing to NTFS from Linux and
    >your backups are actually on the other PC. If the files were backed up
    >to tgz or some format that maintained permissions, most of the system
    >could be restored easily. If the files were just copied to the other
    >system ... well ... that's a whole new ballgame.

    >Where exactly are the backup files and what format are they in?

    >Louis

    Louis:

         Originally, I would create backups on my linux system. I then ftp'd
    them to a Linksys device, which contains a unix system emulating NTFS via
    SAMBA. It has a SAMBA Share that you can mount directly into your file
    structure using smbfs and it also has an ftp server that you can connect to
    and either send or receive data. I originally mounted this drive into my
    directory structure and backed up directly to it. I did restores from it
    multiple times and never had a failure. At some point, my backups became so
    large that I could no longer back up to it directly (buffer overflows on the
    Linksys), so I started doing the backup to a local directory and then ftping
    it to this machine, whereby it controlled the flow rate and took the data as
    it had resources. I could still do a recovery by mounting the shared file
    and pointing YAST to it directly (no problem with reading, since Linux
    simply had to take the data as fast as that device could have it ready).
    Since my new installation doesn't have any of the SAMBA configuration set
    up, that won't work any longer, unless I want to spend a bunch of time
    re-configuring that. So I want to simply move the file over from there to
    this USB enabled device and do a restore from it. I don't believe any
    conversion was ever done on the data. It is a tar file, which I think means
    that wherever you put it (NTFS, FAT3), the receiving file structure doesn't
    try to re-interpret it but simply stores it as received. Without having
    SAMBA installed, I couldn't address the storage on this guy as is, so I'm
    partitioning it into a 1/2 NTFS, 1/2 FAT3 format. I will then put the TAR
    file on the FAT3 partition. I would think I could just mount that into my
    directory somehow and then grab the data. On both my new and my old system,
    I have the same single had with data. The number associated with them is
    also the same. The only difference is that under the old setup there was a
    Windows partition ahead of both of my swap and my data partition. Now, I've
    simply eliminated the Windows partition and everything else is adjusted
    upward on the disk. If you look at the Linux portion by itself, the only
    thing that's changed is that my old swap was 1 GB and my new one is 3 GB.

    Yours truly,
    Greg Wallace