Re: FW: FW: [SLE] Urgent! Need help!

From: Marcos Vinicius Lazarini (lazarini_at_nics.unicamp.br)
Date: 08/21/04

    Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:08:53 -0300
    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com

    Greg Wallace wrote:
> [...]
    > # makeactive <-- This is a null/zero length partition (see Note1 below)
    > chainloader + 1
    > title floppy
    > root (fd0)
    > chainloader + 1
    > title failsafe
    > kernel(hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz.shipped root=/dev/hda3 ide=nodma apm=off
    > ocpi=off vga=normal nosmp maxcpus=0 disablepic 3
    > initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd.shipped
    >
    > When I ran the last install, Linux suggested (as best I can remember) --
    >
    > Swap 3 G
    > Linux
    > Windows
    > Swap ? <-- Some smaller size, as I recall
    > <-- Not sure if there was anything in here
    > Reiserfs <-- sp?
    >

    > I had manually gone in and edited the partition setup on the previous
    > install and that was a complete disaster. So, this time, I tried to go
    > along with Linux as best as I could. I didn't really want Windows on the
    > machine, but I was afraid to strip out that partition completely, so I
    > simply made it 0 length. It seemed to be giving me problems during
    > start-up, so I added commented out the "make active" statement. There was
    > no such statement on the Linux partition, so I added one in (was that bad,
    > or would it probably be ignored anyway?). I have no idea what Reiserfs is,
    > but since Linux was wanting to give it to me, I basically said "Ok, whatever
    > you say". When I try to boot the machine now, it hangs completely in Stage
    > 1. When I boot from the CD, I get this --
    >
    > SELECT SYSTEM
    >
    > /dev/hda2 (SuSE Linux 8.1 (i386))
    > /dev/hda7 (SuSE Linux 8.1 (i386))
    >
    > Since it has these two choices here, that makes me think that that's why
    > it's hanging on a regular boot (it has two systems and doesn't know which
    > one to go to). If I select the first one, I basically get the same messages
    > I was getting before (the ones I posted). Before I go further, I'd like to
    > add some general comments. If I get this system back up and running, given
    > that I now know I can get it back from a backup, I plan to continue on and
    > upgrade to 8.2, 9.0, 9.1. Given that, if there are partitioning problems
    > here that can be worked around (say I really don't need either the Windows
    > or the Reiserfs partition), I'd like to be able to just kill those when I
    > move to 8.2. On the other hand, if there is no work around, I guess I'll
    > have to go back through the whole process again. It is terribly slow
    > because of all of the files in there under Oracle. I have Oracle Client on
    > my Windows machine and I have 12 M of occupied storage. There are app.
    > 120,000 files in that 12 M (10,000 files per M!). And that's just Oracle
    > Client! God knows how many files are in the database server setup on my
    > Linux machine. The installation process eats up a good part of a day! Then
    > again, as I said above, I have to get it to work, so whatever it takes to do
    > that I'm most certainly prepared to go through. Any further assistance

    Greg,
    You must understand that your menu.lst file alone is (in practical
    terms) useless if we don't know (without doubts and guesses) your
    partition scheme and the mount points.

    How can I say: "Hey, change hd0,1 to hd0,2 in menu.lst" if you provide
    no solid info about the partitions?
    I'm trying yo make you understand the close-relation between those:
    menu.lst (GRUB) <-> `fdisk -l` (Partitions) <-> /etc/fstab (mount point)

    For now, I can only see an inconsistency in your menu.lst.
    > kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 hdc=ide-scsi vga=788
    Here you load the kernel (/boot/vmlinuz) from /dev/hda2 (hd0,1), and
    give parameters ' root=/dev/hda3 hdc=ide-scsi vga=788'. Notice that you
    inform the kernel to look for it's root filesystem (the / directory) in
    partition /dev/hda3 (hd0,2).
    (Based on what you posted here, I'm assuming you have only one linux
    partition for everything)

    I'm not sure about the 'makeactive' option, I have never used, don't
    think it will be necessary.

    You have to pay attention to the details; one number wrong in any of
    these steps and your system won't boot anymore.

    (I'm leaving now; will try to read mails tomorrow - otherwise, be back
    on monday)

    Regards,
    Marcos Lazarini

    • Re: Removing Windows from Dual Boot
      ... remove Windows XP and make it a 100% linux laptop. ... I find many tutorials showing how to uninstall Linux from the second ... partition and return the machine back to the original XP ... After a test boot that shows only linux as boot options in the grub ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Can someone else help? Was changing partition size.
      ... with one hard drive, that Windows 98 does not list. ... My Computer still does not list the partition that has ... two hard drives. ... This should fix the boot sector on the C: drive and allow you to boot ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Can someone else help? Was changing partition size.
      ... Windows 98 to boot up. ... My Computer still does not list the partition that has ... This should fix the boot sector on the C: drive and allow you to boot ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: New to Linux
      ... > Since I have a large hard drive, I will probably repartition and give Windows ... Not only is it very doable to tri boot, ... linux partitions. ... About that boot partition, it's just another small linux partition with ...
      (Fedora)