[SLE] A Plea: Topics & Threads

From: Randall R Schulz (rschulz_at_sonic.net)
Date: 08/23/04

    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com
    Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:09:04 -0700

    Hi,

    I'm noticing an appalling number of posts on new topics that are being
    sent as replies to earlier posts.

    This is a poor practice and for those with mail readers that support topic
    threading, makes that feature much less useful.

    Please! When you're starting a new topic, post a new message, DO NOT USE
    REPLY! (Sorry for the shouting, but this is rapidly becoming my new pet
    peeve.)

    For those using KMail, there's a way to repair messages that are sent as
    inappropriate replies:

    1) Create a new filter (I call mine "Sever Reply Links").
    2) Match any of these conditions:
    2a) In-Reply-To matches regular expression "." (exclude the quotes)
    2b) References matches regular expression "."
    3) Filter Actions:
    3a) Remove Header In-Reply-To
    3b) Remove Header References
    4) Make sure all "Apply" options are *dis*abled.
    5) Add the filter to the Apply Filter menu

    Now when you get one of these "replies" that is really the beginning of a
    new topic, you can move it to the top of the thread hierarchy by applying
    this filter.

    Randall Schulz

    • Re: Killfiling by miscellaneous Header Info
      ... custom header info? ... red-color these posts because quite often these hiding posters hide ... your newsreader, lets you test on any header in version 3 (but not in ... A filter that tests on the Message-ID can ...
      (news.software.readers)
    • Re: [tin] message-ID
      ... Dialog to test both on the From header and the other identifier ... I thought you wanted to identify YOUR posts. ... Replies won't have your headers. ... Click on "Custom Scripts" to show that category of scripts. ...
      (news.software.readers)
    • Re: Advanced filter and a list
      ... if anyone responds to one of my posts after 10 days I won't see it. ... Then it won't treat the first real name as a header. ... I have a *column* of first names, some of which are duplicates. ... sort and then I tried to do advanced filter and I ticked unique records. ...
      (microsoft.public.excel.newusers)
    • Re: Advanced filter and a list
      ... if anyone responds to one of my posts after 10 days I won't see it. ... Then it won't treat the first real name as a header. ... I have a *column* of first names, some of which are duplicates. ... sort and then I tried to do advanced filter and I ticked unique records. ...
      (microsoft.public.excel.newusers)
    • Re: [Dialog] Scoring not matching newsgroups
      ... Newsgroups header to see in which groups a post was submitted. ... You don't need to filter out posts for groups to which you don't ...
      (news.software.readers)