[SLE] YaST Online Update Problem

From: Greg Wallace (jgregw_at_acsalaska.net)
Date: 09/05/04

    To: <suse-linux-e@suse.com>
    Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 21:59:03 -0800

    I just migrated from SuSE Linux 8.1 Professional to 8.2 Professional (I'm
    moving toward 9.1 one version at a time). I didn't lose any data and
    everything seems to be functioning fine, with one notable exception. YaST
    Online Update no longer works! After I upgraded to 8.2, one of the first
    things I did was go to Online Update to pick up the latest updates to the
    particular packages in my installation. When I checked for updates, YaST
    returned a list of patches to 30 or 40 of my packages. I clicked the
    "Accept" button and YaST proceeded to "retrieve" all of the package updates.
    That part apparently worked fine, but when it went to the installation step,
    that step failed on every single one of the downloaded patches with the
    exact same error message -

    Error Installing patch '.' <-- Name of particular patch
      Skip this patch or abort the update?

    I would say to skip that one and then I would get the exact same message on
    the next one, and so on. At the end, I had had to skip every single one of
    them and the message at the end said "no packages have been installed". Has
    anyone else experienced this problem going from 8.1 to 8.2 (or on any other
    SuSE Linux upgrade)? I'm not familiar with the inner workings of RPM, but I
    would think this is some sort of RPM glitch (maybe due to a change to RPM
    itself going from 8.1 to 8.2). Any help greatly appreciated.

    Yours truly,
    Greg Wallace