Re: [SLE] Novell kit 9.1 running 2.4 not 2.6??

From: David T-G (davidtg-suse-linux-e_at_justpickone.org)
Date: 09/07/04

    Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 05:37:33 -0400
    To: "SuSE Linux (English) list" <suse-linux-e@suse.com>

    Vince, at al --

    ...and then Vince Negri said...
    %
    % > So why does the thing boot into 2.4.21, apparently from my hda2 9.0
    % slice??
    %
    % Because your lilo.conf is pointing to
    % /boot/vmlinuz for both 9.0 and 9.1.

    Eh? *duh*

    %
    % The /boot referred to in lilo.conf is *not* the /boot folder
    % that is in place when the system is booted, but the /boot
    % folder that is in place *at the moment lilo is run.* So that
    % /boot/vmlinuz gets parsed as the same kernel in all cases

    Aha! Oh! I get it now! How very interesting.

    %
    % Did you, perhaps, get a YOU kernel update for 9.0 recently? With
    % the lilo.conf you have, that would end up with all suse's booting
    % the same kernel.

    I did, and YOU tells me that another is on the way.

    %
    % To avoid a total descent into madness :) you either need to
    % a) switch to GRUB or

    Bleah. Never. Ugh. Well, OK, maybe not 'never', but 'only when I can
    do the equivalent of "lilo -R suse91" will I try it again'. I very
    definitely did not like it.

    % b) fix your lilo.conf.

    Easy enough and much better for my situation.

    %
    % For b), you would need to edit your fstab so that your 9.0 install
    % mounted hda1 (read-only) at some directory, say
    % /mnt/suse91, and then your lilo.conf would end with
    %
    % image = /mnt/suse91/boot/vmlinuz
    % label = suse91
    % initrd = /mnt/suse91/boot/initrd
    % ..etc..

    Got ya. And this never bit me before because I usually run one SuSE and
    a few non-Linuxes and, in the case when I do run multiple Linuxes, I
    generally have them all mounted :-)

    %
    %
    % Then re-running lilo from suse9.0 would fix everything.
    % I hope this makes sense!

    It does; it makes perfect sense (especially now that I've learned
    something new), and I'm quite grateful. I'll have to try it out later
    but I sure look forward to doing so!

    %
    % However, you haven't said what bootloader setup you asked
    % for when installing 9.1. Did you tell yast not to install a
    % bootloader, because you intended all along to boot via
    % your original lilo setup?

    Yep; that's exactly right. This is just a temporary install in swap; I
    didn't want to switch boot loader partitions as well.

    Thanks again & HAND

    :-D

    --
    David T-G
    davidtg@justpickone.org

    • Re: swapping master & slave HDs: what to change?
      ... > whereapon you must run lilo. ... BEFORE running lilo will result in the effective installation of the ... Now I think I remember lilo install runs that failed because my choice ... of install target partition and kernel address didn't match the kernel ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: kernel panic
      ... Your simplest option is to boot off the CD ... > install process only and should be replaced for adequate performance. ... I took the plunge and installed '2.4.18.img' and ran lilo ... with the newly installed kernel. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • [opensuse] Re: grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?
      ... What are the disadvantages of lilo? ... You need to update the mapping when you change files. ... except for the initial install. ... I have kernel rpms set to multiple installations, ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Re. CD writer
      ... kernel came from "Custom Kernel Compiling in Debian ... suggestions that involve working with lilo. ... you recommend switching to grub, ... installation disks I know how to install it. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Why all the futzing with boot loaders
      ... Now apt-get dist-upgrade _removes_ a working GRUB and installs a non-working LILO; ... There are a few situations, if I recall correctly, where lilo worked but grub didn't. ... IMHO, grub is a HUGE improvement over lilo, because you can have multiple boot options configured simultaneously, so if you screw up a new kernel install, you can always boot from the old one. ... Secondary loader: 19 sectors. ...
      (Debian-User)