Re: [SLE] Sempron Processors?

From: Peter B Van Campen (peterb_at_vancampen.org)
Date: 09/09/04

    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com
    Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:32:35 -0500

    On Wednesday 08 September 2004 07:08 pm, Donald Grayson wrote:
    > marcia wrote:
    > > Dear All,
    > >
    > > I was the one looking for the linux computer for my stepson and
    > > finally found one from HP that was an Athlon. I was thrilled with the
    > > machine until they changed (overnight) the athlons to sempron
    > > processors. I know it is still AMD but I know nothing of them. Will

    > The Sempron is AMD's updated version of the Duron processor. The
    > Sempron is an x86 based processor just the same as an Athlon and will
    > fit into the same socket as an Athlon chip. The new design mainly
    > reduces the physical die size and the heat output of the chip while
    > boosting the speed.
    >
    > Usually you'll have more problems getting Linux to work with the
    > motherboard's chipsets than an actual consumer processor.

    The Sempron is detailed here:
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_11599_11604,00.html

    It seems to beat the Duron by a lot, but I notice the the Lvl2 cache is 256KB.
    If possible get the biggest Lvl2 cache you can afford. The XP3000 Athlon has
    512KB if it is the 'Barton" generation chip. The performance difference
    between the same speed chips having 256KB and 512KB is startling!!

    Good luck .................... PeterB

    Proud to use SuSE Linux, since 5.2
    Loving using SuSE Linux 9.1
    MyBlog http://vancampen.org/blog/