Re: [SLE] Sempron Processors?

From: Peter B Van Campen (peterb_at_vancampen.org)
Date: 09/09/04

    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com
    Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:32:35 -0500

    On Wednesday 08 September 2004 07:08 pm, Donald Grayson wrote:
    > marcia wrote:
    > > Dear All,
    > >
    > > I was the one looking for the linux computer for my stepson and
    > > finally found one from HP that was an Athlon. I was thrilled with the
    > > machine until they changed (overnight) the athlons to sempron
    > > processors. I know it is still AMD but I know nothing of them. Will

    > The Sempron is AMD's updated version of the Duron processor. The
    > Sempron is an x86 based processor just the same as an Athlon and will
    > fit into the same socket as an Athlon chip. The new design mainly
    > reduces the physical die size and the heat output of the chip while
    > boosting the speed.
    >
    > Usually you'll have more problems getting Linux to work with the
    > motherboard's chipsets than an actual consumer processor.

    The Sempron is detailed here:
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_11599_11604,00.html

    It seems to beat the Duron by a lot, but I notice the the Lvl2 cache is 256KB.
    If possible get the biggest Lvl2 cache you can afford. The XP3000 Athlon has
    512KB if it is the 'Barton" generation chip. The performance difference
    between the same speed chips having 256KB and 512KB is startling!!

    Good luck .................... PeterB

    Proud to use SuSE Linux, since 5.2
    Loving using SuSE Linux 9.1
    MyBlog http://vancampen.org/blog/
    Currently listening to Joseph Campbell
    http://www.jcf.org/ Free D/Ls after
    free registration

    • Re: Two ways Microsoft sabotages Linux desktop adoption (warning: long rant follows)
      ... We have the chip running under Linux, ... [QUOTE MODE OFF] ... But will they be truely open SOURCE Mike, as in can we look at the ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: WLAN: RT61 Reichweite viel zu kurz - zu geringe Sendeleistung!
      ... Mit dem Chip hat das herzlich wenig zu tun - ... Da kann dir Linux z. ... Kernel 2.6.32.8 ... Reichweite und die max. Bandbreite bleiben unbrauchbar. ...
      (de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware)
    • Re: Building computer
      ... For 'seamless' integration with stock Debian it's usually best to buy a ... My Linux experience may be old and rusty, but I remember recompiling my kernel to get Soundblaster support. ... Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler ... Please let me know if you think using the Haswell chip is unwise; I would rather buy the first chip that uses the new socket than the last chip, Ivy Bridge, using the old socket, for the potential of upgrading in the future. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Need help on modifying and assembly of a small program!
      ... > chip and SID sound chip were actually rather advanced for the time and ... > {Linux vs Windows issues} ... I know what to do...I just need to get an ethernet card and a cable ... The cable modem can be connected by USB or ethernet...neither of these ...
      (alt.lang.asm)
    • Re: dumb question about multi-core processors...
      ... It says that Intel has made a chip with 80 processors on it that it says ... Linux has already been developed to handle such ... incremental improvement after 2, 4, 8, etc CPUs. ...
      (Debian-User)