[SLE] Kernel smp (longish)

From: Marek Pawinski (pawinski_at_webstorm.co.za)
Date: 10/17/04

    Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 08:15:05 +0200
    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com

    Hi

    The only time i have used Suse before was with the live cds so i thought
    i would give Suse 9.1 Personal a go. I must say i am quite impressed,
    except for yast2 which seems to give me dependancy errors all the time,
    which i sorted out by installing apt.

    I have a major problem though which occurred in Mandrake 10 as well but
    is more stable on Suse.

    First of all i installed Suse on my Hyper Threading machine and the smp
    kernel was installed. I then upgraded to the latest bug fix kernel with
    the "rpm -ivh" switch. A few days later that kernel had uninstalled
    itself. I am now back to my original smp kernel.

    Second of all i get segfaults on my rpm packages that i have downloaded
    and or an error that they have a bad signature. But when i install them
    the first time they work. Its only after a day or two they get corrupt.
    I then run "rpm --rebuildb" and can sometimes install the rpm.

    Is this a hardware incompatibility problem or a smp kernel problem ? I
    am using an intel cpu with a Asus P4S800-MX motherboard.

    Can i install the stock normal kernel and have Hyper Threading enabled ?

    Will i get options on my boot splash screen to choose between kernels ?
    as i remember when i had two smp kernels installed it did not give me an
    option.

    Marek

    • Media Tray Empty - SuSE 9.1 Solved
      ... and has, after all, worked fine in SuSE 9.0 on the same machine. ... so I just told Yast to ignore those for the time being. ... I then installed the *old* cups-related rpm files from my SuSE 9.0 Pro ... CDs and proceeded to install the downloaded ghostscript files, ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: [SLE] Kernel smp (longish)
      ... >> is more stable on Suse. ... >> kernel was installed. ... and install them on your system. ... > download and install RPMs from other places.... ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: A question or two
      ... haven't even thought about building a new kernel, ... Things seem to have picked up now kde loads quicker than SuSE now:) only ... > there if you want to install pre-built packages afterwards. ... This would be my only qualm with what I term proprietory Linux Systems like ...
      (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
    • Re: [SLE] Epiphany issue
      ... Just reading everything to be found on a topic, ... things shortly after I install the latest SuSE, ... SuSE release, then my shambles remains and my motivation ... rpm database and YaST's/YOU's usefulness) ...
      (SuSE)
    • SUSE Security Announcement: Linux Kernel (SuSE-SA:2004:001)
      ... installable through rpm, because of a bug in RPM (update of ... the kernel source is not ... sources that the binary kernel rpm packages are made from. ... are being offered to install from the maintenance web. ...
      (Bugtraq)