[SLE] Kernel smp (longish)

From: Marek Pawinski (pawinski_at_webstorm.co.za)
Date: 10/17/04

    Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 08:15:05 +0200
    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com

    Hi

    The only time i have used Suse before was with the live cds so i thought
    i would give Suse 9.1 Personal a go. I must say i am quite impressed,
    except for yast2 which seems to give me dependancy errors all the time,
    which i sorted out by installing apt.

    I have a major problem though which occurred in Mandrake 10 as well but
    is more stable on Suse.

    First of all i installed Suse on my Hyper Threading machine and the smp
    kernel was installed. I then upgraded to the latest bug fix kernel with
    the "rpm -ivh" switch. A few days later that kernel had uninstalled
    itself. I am now back to my original smp kernel.

    Second of all i get segfaults on my rpm packages that i have downloaded
    and or an error that they have a bad signature. But when i install them
    the first time they work. Its only after a day or two they get corrupt.
    I then run "rpm --rebuildb" and can sometimes install the rpm.

    Is this a hardware incompatibility problem or a smp kernel problem ? I
    am using an intel cpu with a Asus P4S800-MX motherboard.

    Can i install the stock normal kernel and have Hyper Threading enabled ?

    Will i get options on my boot splash screen to choose between kernels ?
    as i remember when i had two smp kernels installed it did not give me an
    option.

    Marek

    • Media Tray Empty - SuSE 9.1 Solved
      ... and has, after all, worked fine in SuSE 9.0 on the same machine. ... so I just told Yast to ignore those for the time being. ... I then installed the *old* cups-related rpm files from my SuSE 9.0 Pro ... CDs and proceeded to install the downloaded ghostscript files, ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: [SLE] Kernel smp (longish)
      ... >> is more stable on Suse. ... >> kernel was installed. ... and install them on your system. ... > download and install RPMs from other places.... ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: A question or two
      ... haven't even thought about building a new kernel, ... Things seem to have picked up now kde loads quicker than SuSE now:) only ... > there if you want to install pre-built packages afterwards. ... This would be my only qualm with what I term proprietory Linux Systems like ...
      (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
    • Re: [SLE] Epiphany issue
      ... Just reading everything to be found on a topic, ... things shortly after I install the latest SuSE, ... SuSE release, then my shambles remains and my motivation ... rpm database and YaST's/YOU's usefulness) ...
      (SuSE)
    • [SLE] Re: [suse-amd64] ATI driver does not show SuSE
      ... According to the instructions from suse site, running the install ... use this way of installing the driver, with rpm. ... I have 3D acceleration with my ATI card on my x86_64 system. ...
      (SuSE)