Re: [SLE] vmware on 9.2

From: Leendert Meyer (leen.meyer_at_home.nl)
Date: 11/06/04

    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com
    Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 22:40:27 +0100

    On Saturday 06 November 2004 22:19, Stan Glasoe wrote:
    > On Saturday 06 November 2004 2:42 pm, Jake wrote:
    > > I thought I'd give vmware a try, and installed a 30 day evaluation
    > > rpm of VMware Workstation 4.5.2 build-884 using yast. No problems
    > > there. However, when I attempt to start vmware I'm told to run
    > > vmware-config.pl which produces the following output:
    > >
    > > snip <
    > >
    > > Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
    > > make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only'
    > > make -C /usr/src/linux/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules
    > > make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.8-24'
    > > Makefile:465: .config: No such file or directory
    >
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > Install the kernel-source files through YaST. Then try again.

    That is just the first step, and is not enough:

      rpm -Uhv kernel-syms-2.6.8-24.i586.rpm
      cd /usr/src/linux
      cp ../linux-obj/i386/default/.config .
      cp ../linux-obj/i386/default/Module.symvers .
      make prepare
      vmware-config.pl

    I just did this, and the compilation went without any error.

    Cheers,

    Leen

    • Re: Home server decision
      ... I've found VMware Player hosted under Windows satisfactory ... It's also available hosted under Linux, ... garish colours and not enough control over the install process. ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • RE: [PHP] Xampp question, pretty much 0T
      ... I suggest you look into VMWare. ... versions (player, server, etc) if you don't want Workstation (which I ... [PHP] Xampp question, pretty much 0T ... recommended it to me when I asked for an easy install of AMP. ...
      (php.general)
    • Re: VmWare?
      ... software builds in a linux envronment on Mac Mini running leopard. ... I just crank up the VMware engine running linux and start ... You install it, create a virtual PC that has ... I have a linux box running Ubuntu and the choices Ive ...
      (comp.os.cpm)
    • Re: OSR5 on VMware Server Beta SCSI?
      ... pops up with the "Bad Magic Number" error when trying to load BTLDs at the ... to be unable to integrate the BTLD into the kernel during the install, ... floppy image with the exact same results, on 2 different physical VMware ...
      (comp.unix.sco.misc)
    • Re: I want to migrate to Linux
      ... don't need drivers or they use the drivers that are included in VMware. ... These drivers are called VMware Tools. ... Install VMware tools, when you select that Windows will think you have ... SAMBA allows Linux to share folders with Windows. ...
      (comp.os.linux.hardware)