Re: [SLE] fsck.reiserfs run manually

From: Tiscali Gary D Chance (garydchance_at_tiscali.co.uk)
Date: 11/14/04

    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com
    Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:23:09 +0000

    On Sunday 14 November 2004 11:31, bruce@scharlau.co.uk wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > discovered a bad hard disk, and now the system won't boot fully. Instead
    > I get message :
    >
    > fsck.reiserf /dev/hdb3 failed (status 0x8) run manually!
    >
    > for each of the hard drive partitions (/dev/hdb1, /dev/hdb2 and
    > /dev/hdb3) and a message at the end saying
    >
    > fsck failed. Repair manually and reboot. The root filesystem is
    > currently mounted read-only. ...
    >
    > Anyways, I try mounting the partitions, but get /dev/hdb1 is not a
    > valid block device.
    >
    > I saw something about vgcfgrestore, which suggested that there should be
    > some files about partitions under /etc/lvmconf, but don't see that
    > directory in my Suse 9.0 system.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >

    > Bruce

    Try:

    fsck.reiserf /dev/hdb1

    and so forth for each hdb 2 and hdb3. Here's some details:

    I had a similar problem. I'm not sure this is exactly what you're describing
    but the instruction to run fsck manually is the same. Here's what I did to
    recover:

    I went through everything carefully and repeatedly to try to repair the
    problem to see what was wrong. I went through all the options using the DVD
    install disk. Repair could not restore ext2 in my situation and said so
    advising a manual repair without the -p or -a options.

    Root address was corrupted, and I could to get to it. I used the installation
    disk to boot initially then used its boot from the hard disk option. This
    put me into root ready to enter fsck manually which seems to be where you are
    above according to the message you got. I then entered:

    fsck.ext2 /dev/hda4 (for my configuration)

    I then just answered "yes" to each question, and it repaired with no further
    problems. Booted perfectly after that. This was the result of a crash that
    had unusually occurred for me. I have just started using 9.2. Other than
    this minor problem, 9.2 is working fine for me. I like it so far.

    Gary