Re: [SLE] 9.2 - KDE and KDE apps very slow - everything else OK

From: Stan Glasoe (SRGlasoe_at_comcast.net)
Date: 12/09/04

    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com
    Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 13:44:31 -0600

    On Thursday 09 December 2004 12:56 pm, Jason Joines wrote:
    > Stan Glasoe wrote:
    > > On Thursday 09 December 2004 11:01 am, Jason Joines wrote:
    > >> I just got my SuSE 9.2 Pro DVD yesterday and did a fresh install
    > >>with all the YOU updates on a P4 1.80GHz with 512 MB RAM. I had been
    > >>running 9.1.
    > >>
    > >> The install went smoothly but starting KDE was horrible. It took
    > >>around 10 minutes.
    > >>
    > >>snip <
    > >>
    > >>Jason Joines
    > >
    > > I've had to make sure that powersaved was running properly on my system
    > > to avoid that type of behavior. Also check (via right click, Configure)
    > > suseplugger in the systray area. I had to make sure that Directly Start
    > > Application and Start Applications At Login and Do Active Polling were
    > > all off to get decent system response times.
    > >
    > > One thing to try is to reset your YaST time slices and use the 'desktop'
    > > setting in your grub/lilo boot settings. Without desktop in mine, my
    > > system crawls. Others on the list report exactly opposite behavior for
    > > their systems.
    > >
    > > As they say YMMV,
    > > Stan
    >
    > powersaved is running. What do you mean by running properly? Is there
    > some configuration that needs to be changed?
    I managed to get some permissions messed up on powersaved so that it wasn't
    running and that slowed my system. Not sure what or how i did that but it
    took awhile to figure it out

    > I've had suseplugger completely disabled.
    >
    > I did set the time slice stuff to 'desktop'. Everything was twice as
    > slow before that.
    >
    > I don't see anything about desktop stuff in the bootloader
    > configuration. It boots just fine so I don't see how that could matter.
    > It's just KDE that's misbehaving.
    Gnome and XFcce4 and Icewm and others behaved well for me too. Providing the
    following information for the record not to insult your abilities or anything
    like that.
    http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2003/10/pohletz_desktop_90.html explains how to
    change that the "desktop" boot paramter.
    http://portal.suse.de/sdb/en/2003/10/90_scheduling.html explains why they are
    doing it and the last paragraph explains the "desktop" boot parameter time
    slicing. This also explains why uptime gets reset every 47+ days I think it
    is instead of the 470+ days it used to be.

    > Jason

    Can't think of anything else right now. Unless its something like locate or
    fam churning away in the background. My performance issues seemed to be
    isolated to KDE also. YMMV of course and my issues may not be yours! Keep us
    updated on what you find though.

    Stan

    • Re: [SLE] (was: GIMP) problems with clock
      ... On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 12:50, Stan Glasoe wrote: ... > localtime to keep the system time consistent between Windows and Linux boots. ... > This is very true on my system even if I never boot to Windows these days. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: [SLE] Question re: ALSA Mixer Settings
      ... > Stephen & Stan, ... > back into KDE, it overwrites your settings with the defaults. ... I have kdemultimedia3-mixer v3.2.2-6 installed. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: [SLE] must boot from suse 10 DVD
      ... >> Sounds like the hard drive is dying. ... Get the Ultimate Boot CD ... > Not the hard drive Stan. ... Since the HDD won't boot on its own and the MBR was rewritten and it ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Disaster recovery help, please
      ... On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 17:18, stan wrote: ... >> Once you've copied the data back onto the new drive just boot from a ... doesn't have reiserfs support) ... You can get my public key from any of the ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Cant Find Partition Table On Boot
      ... now can't boot my Fedora Core 3 box. ... The BIOS see the hard disk but it ... Mount the disk READ ONLY on another system and pull off your data ... Stan Bischof ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)