Re: [SLE] vmware on 9.2

From: Joe Brockert (joe_at_brockert.com)
Date: 12/13/04

    To: Richard <rick47@adelphia.net>
    Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:08:18 -0800

    the only way I've got it working is
    /usr/src/linux
    make cloneconfig
    make modules

    /usr/local/vmware-distb
    ./vmware-install.pl and take the defaults

    joe

    On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 15:18 -0800, Richard wrote:
    > On Monday 08 November 2004 8:48 am, Kastus wrote:
    > > On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 09:57:14AM -0500, Michael W Cocke wrote:
    > > > cd /usr/src/linux
    > > > make oldconfig
    > > > make bzImage
    > > > make modules
    > > >
    > > > You can skip the installation steps (modules_install and install) if
    > > > you want. After you do this, install vmware - it works great.
    > >
    > > Actually, the necessary and sufficient steps on SUSE are:
    > >
    > > make cloneconfig
    > > make prepare
    > > vmware-config.pl
    > >
    > > Much faster than bzImage and modules.
    > >
    > > Regards, -Kastus
    >
    > Apparently, I do not completely get it. I followed this to try to install VM
    > on new 9.2 installation and get error messages. While running
    > vmware-config.pl I got to the line where it says no current module is ok so
    > then asks to make a module. I said yes, and then the errors began with the
    > conclusion that it could not build module. Should I have run make modules
    > and make modules-install after make cloneconfig and make prepare? I seem to
    > recall some earlier discussion, that I did not save, about there being an
    > appropriate module/better module already included in SuSE and to use this
    > instead. Is this so? Where and how? Thanks for any assistance. Richard

    • Re: [SLE] vmware on 9.2
      ... I followed this to try to install VM ... > and make modules-install after make cloneconfig and make prepare? ... There are no ready vmware modules included in 9.2. ... vmware complaine about kernel version in 9.2 but runs fine. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: [SLE] vmware on 9.2
      ... > Much faster than bzImage and modules. ... I followed this to try to install VM ... on new 9.2 installation and get error messages. ... and make modules-install after make cloneconfig and make prepare? ...
      (SuSE)
    • [SLE] vmware 5 suse 9.1
      ... No rule to make target `cloneconfig'. ... can I use Yast in irder to install what ever I need to ... tell yast to look for an online resource, ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: [SLE] vmware 5 suse 9.1
      ... if I have to install anything can I use Yast in irder to ... > cds, so how can I tell yast to look for an online resource, is there ... Install the kernel source package, then run make cloneconfig && make ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: [SLE] VMware 4.0.1 fails to build on SuSE -329 kernels
      ... >me trying to get VMWare to recognize my athlon kernel: ... - install kernel_source ... - make cloneconfig ... - make dep ...
      (SuSE)